Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
redband02

Howdy from Montana

still trying to figure out this web site

74 yr old fisherman, been fly fishing since 1969 and tying since about 1972

Currently I tie and donated a few thousand flies every year to Reel Recovery, Casting for Recovery, MayFly Project, two kids camps (Trout Unlimited and Clark Fork Watershed Education Program at Georgetown Lake), a couple of local Trout Unlimted Chapters and Tie-a-Thon

Trying to get rid of materials collected over 50 years before I die

redband02, Welcome from Connecticut, the site is just a group of fly tiers and fisherman like you sharing patterns and techniques to help other tiers. In our swap section we run fly swaps and donations to charities supporting some of the same programs you have listed. The donation listing has been a little slow the last couple of years from covid, but I expect members to start this up again hopefully soon. I hope you enjoy the forum and feel free to post your flies and techniques to help. With your experience you probably have a lot to offer others, please be gentle with the critiques unless asked for and no politics.

If you are trying to get rid of materials 🙄you can mail them to me (ha, ha) I'm a few years behind you and my wife is already asking me what I want her to do with it all after. We also have a classified section to sell but read the rules for posting to this section first to avoid any confusion.

6 hours ago, redband02 said:

still trying to figure out this web site

Currently I tie and donated a few thousand flies every year to Reel Recovery, Casting for Recovery, MayFly Project, two kids camps (Trout Unlimited and Clark Fork Watershed Education Program at Georgetown Lake), a couple of local Trout Unlimted Chapters and Tie-a-Thon

One of my good friend heads the Project Healing Waters  for wounded marines in the Wounded Warriors Program at Fort Belvoir. I am donating 12 dozen flies to his program. He wrote me back.

"Everything we get goes to our Project Healing Waters programs. We would put them in fly boxes and distribute them to the soldiers and marines.  My friend, Marty Laksbergs, the Program Lead for the Quantico Program, also helps me out by attending our Fort Belvoir meetings. Marty and I share everything we get and we do joint trips to save money."

You can read about their programs at

https://www.facebook.com/BelvoirPHW

https://www.facebook.com/QuanticoPHW

Reply to this post if you want to know how to donate flies. I will PM you with his private email to contact him.

12 hours ago, redband02 said:

Welcome to the site.

I'm hoping you'll figure the site out, like it, and stay for a while, like many years.  Should take you ten or fifteen years at least, to give away 50 years worth of stuff !!!

Welcome to the site!  I too, started tying in the early '70's.  I'm a born and bred central NYer and I host fly swaps on this site.  I also live by the credo - "He who dies with the most toys wins!", so I have enough material for a couple lifetimes!  I've been gifting a lot of my material to my swappers as well as some newer tyers to get them started.  And I have donated flies to Casting for the Cure as well as other like organizations.

I look forward to crossing paths with you here on the site.

Kim