Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dflanagan

Finish it or start over?

I started a Black Ranger this evening but it has a few problems. I think I should have used medium flat tinsel instead of small and I broke the body hackle as I began wrapping it. So a quick fix of tying in the hackle with the oval tinsel “worked” but obviously doesn’t look right. 

What would you guys do? Strip it and start over or just finish it out?

777289F9-F09D-4289-B80A-AC96B3E66681.jpeg

If you're going to fish it, then finish it as is, it won't matter.  

If you're doing it for practice or show, well, then, you know the answer.

for me personally, when i muck something up anywhere in the tying process, i unwind it all back to where it went wrong and start over from that point

i try to make my fly look like the reference photo and recipe

how you handle your situation is up to you

I am in agreement with flytire on this one. If it ain't right go back and start again. I have been "George The Ripper" on many occasions in the past, and I always have a razor blade in my tool drawer for just such occasions. This is probably the best way to get better at tying flies like the classics.

BTW - The tinsel size looks fine to me...but that is always a personal thing.

13 minutes ago, flytire said:

youre almost there. finish it up

Black Ranger | Salmon flies, Salmon, Fly fishing

Your work? Very nice fly.

Thanks, all. I knew restarting was the way to go. I stripped the whole thing and started from the beginning. Lessons learned: tippet wings suck, GP crests are a pain to prep, and I need to make up some more cobbler’s wax. And go easy with the finish on the head. Got some on the feathers. Still lots of work to do but it’ll work, I think. 

Fire away with tips and criticism, please. 

25F2C072-D8C9-4CAF-B49E-12E94989397A.jpeg

Fire away with tips and criticism eh? I detect something that I was guilty of when I first started tying classics...a tendency to rush a bit so you can see the finished product.
Take you time!!

In the case of the Ranger series be sure to carefully match all 4 of the tippet feathers so the black bars align up properly. Attention to those kinds of details will pay off in much better flies and greater satisfaction to you as a tyer.

Other details to focus on are proportions. Start the tip/tag area directly above the point of the barb and finish it with the butt stopping directly above the point of the hook. Make note of the fact that the fibers on the ostrich are located on one side of the rachis. Wrap the butt with the fibers toward the bend of the hook and the clear area toward the eye. That way you can overlap the wraps and get a neat straight clean looking butt.

Finally for now...remember that the materials are tougher than you think. Example...using small flat nose pliers you can flatten rachis of the tippet in the tie in spot then twist the material so the feathers come together and stay that way.

I have said many times...learning to tie these flies in not a sprint, it is a marathon!

On my way out...but I'll be back.

Good Luck,
George

Told you I'd be back 😁

One more important tip. Only use the minimum number of wraps necessary to hold anything in place. If 2 wraps work, don't use 3. Use the finest thread you can to do the job. For my classic flies I happen to use nothing but Veevus 10/0 in black and white. It is plenty strong, very fine and can be flattened when needed.

For head cement, take the time to thin it out. I only use it to hold the thread in place after wrapping the head. Thanks to flytire...for the finish on the head I have been using UV resin. Easy to control and one coat gives the hard shiny finish we all like.

I hope these basic things are of value. Any questions, just pm me through the site. You obviously have the talent and ability to tie these flies, and tie them well so stick with it. It is well worth the time and effort.

7 hours ago, SalarMan said:

I hope these basic things are of value. Any questions, just pm me through the site. You obviously have the talent and ability to tie these flies, and tie them well so stick with it. It is well worth the time and effort.

Yes, very helpful. Thank you. Rushing is probably my biggest issue right now. Have to remind myself to slow down and do it right. 

A second attempt at a Black Ranger. Still having trouble getting my toppings to hold their shape after prepping them. Still getting a bit flustered at the head and making too many wraps. Any other areas you all can point to that need extra attention?

I’m in the process of getting a light box set up so I can make pics a little better.

7E5928B4-3180-455E-A30F-806FB55D8860.jpeg