Fly Tying
Grillmaster5062

Just getting back into tying

Greetings from Warren, Michigan. Looking to get back into fly tying, after a flooded basement destroyed my hooks, threads and lots of materials. I've been working in the auto industry for over 26 years, but I spent over 15 years working in retail fishing sales in my earlier years. Any suggestions on hooks, threads and miscellaneous materials will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome.  Lot of folks on here fish for bass.  I'll give it a shot with the suggestions.

Hooks-  Gamakatsu B10S,  I also use their straight shanked worm hooks.  I use some VMC spinner bait hooks.  Eagle Claw Aberdeen Crappie hooks,  gold and bronze.  Daiichi 2461. I've been using lot of the Ahrex hooks.  Nothing smaller than a size 6 for any of them.  I also use 1/32 and 1/20 oz jigs

Threads- usually heavy thread 3/0, salt water.  Colors, white, yellow, chartreuse, black and orange.  Clear polyester thread that you can find in craft stores.  I use that mainly for Clousers, Zonkers and bait fish patterns. 

Materials-  Buck Tail, Marabou,  Feathers(saddle hackle and schlappen, Chenille( regular, crystal, sparkle and Estaz), Zonker strips.  Foam sheets, 2 mm, 3 mm and 6 mm.  You can usually find the 2 mm and 6 mm in craft stores.  3 mm I usually order from fly fishing catalogs, but I'm sure you can find it on Amazon.  Foam cylinders.   Foam colors, white, yellow chartreuse, olive and black.  Large Mop pieces.  Silicone, spinner bait skirts or skirt layers, also known as "Sili Legs. 

Miscellaneous-  UV resin, super glue, permanent markers to add color and markings to the patterns.

I'm sure I've forgotten something.

These are some of my bass flies,  top water and subsurface.

DSCF1135.JPG.c3fc8be578833bcb56a412bb334c19ca.JPG

DSCF1129.thumb.JPG.77ea8efa115c564c982416717c76ed4a.JPG

Very nice tying. I used to have a Plano hip-roof style tackle box that contained all of my hooks and threads, but it all got trashed in the flood. Tiemco, Partridge, VMC, Mustad, Eagle Claw, you name it. I'm gonna have to start all over again. Thanks for the suggestions.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your flood, starting anew is always hard but at least you will have had experience on what hooks and material you preferer. I use a lot of Mustad 3366 or 3366BR for my warm water patterns they are a nice straight eye, sproat style hook and very economical.

Welcome to the site!  It is loaded with many a fine and experienced tyer, fisher, rod builder and just overall good and helpful folk.  I'm a born and bred central NYer.  I've been tying flies for over 50 years now and hosting fly swaps for going on 12 years now.  So sorry to hear that your materials got wet BEFORE they became flies!! 

Here is a site that might help you out if you like to tie dries in your area.  Tom Deschaie was a fine fisher, tyer, rod builder as well as a fly historian.  I became familiar with his fine work as a member of FAOL back in its heyday and this site represents his life's work, I hope that you enjoy it - Fly Patterns (michigandryflies.net).

Kim

The Midwest Fly Fishing Expo will be held in Warren a little over a week from now. There will tons of tying materials for sale, often at discounted prices, and lots of fly shop guys manning the booths who can answer questions or make recommendations. There are also lots of seminars and tying demos, usually by some well-known tyers. I don't usually go because I'm on the other side of the state, but if you live close by, it's definitely worth checking out.

www.midwestflyfishingexpo.com

Thanks for the heads up. I once was a member of the Michigan Fly Fishing Club, and I've attended the show on many occasions in the past, both as a worker and a spectator. If it's not too expensive I might stop in this year.