Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adam Gallant

My first attempt

I've dabbled years ago, and recently got back into tying... This is my first time a built wing salmon fly... It's my own creation (for a gift), but I thought I'd share.

There's some challenges with this one, for example, the topping ended up long, the blue hackle throat is a little long. lost some surface on the frenching mid-body, but otherwise pleased. Working on what I hope to be the corrective iteration of this... and as always, have "fun" binding and mounting the wings... I've taken inspiration from Jin Woo Lee's video on youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbsuDz_q0HY ) and now use a 2-step process (bind the wings off hook, then tie them in). I find I'm way more consistent and I can control the collapsing of the strands much better.

I'd love some tips, suggestions, critiques, etc

20230218_122812.jpg

Beat me to it, wow and a first at that! Liked the video as well, it seems like cheating! (but obviously it's not) 

1 hour ago, Adam Gallant said:

A little better every time

Very nice tie - underwing alignment is crisp, proportions look good to me

I agree with your assessment, but you’re well on the way, we are constantly learning in how to make materials do exactly what we want and that’s part of the fun. Materials don’t dictate the end result. Great work, LETS SEE MORE. It’s a.whole different ball game tying these in your hand and wax can be your best friend in many situations.

I sure cannot add to wat has been said...you show you have the tying skills to tie these flies, and tie them well!!