Fly Tying
zip

afraid to use

I went fishing this eveing and caught 2 verey nice size rainbows with one of the flies i made,when i got the fly out of its mouth i was shredded-buetiful fly too.The reason im writing this thread is because im kind of afraid to use the flies iv made becace some of them are verey pretty and i dont want to end up snagging them or them getting shreaded.Like that fly called the Woody.If i made one of those and it got lost in some river i would probably curl up the corner for a day or so. crying.gif Does anyone else here feel the same way?I look at this as more of an art than making fishing tackle.Comments anyone?

For the most part I tie flies to be fished with. I would love to tie some salmon flies and even realistics one day, but I don't have the time right now.

If I do catch a "trophy" fish, I do retire that fly never to be fished again. When I get my room finished I plan on framing all the pics from those fish and mounting the fly onto that frame.

Those dressy flies in the Salmon & Steelhead tying and the fly you mentioned aren't meant to be fished. They are mostly made for show. Any of the flies By Ronn Lucas or Bud Guidry are made to be encased in 24 karet gold frames and hung on the wall in my opinion.

I fish with the flies i tie, thats why i started to tie in the first place. Other people tie flies purely for display purposes, they would never use those flies to fish with.

You gotta ask yourself, "Why did i tie this fly, to fish with or to look at?"

What you do with it depends on the answer.

I guess it depends on if you're tying for function and practicality or if you're tying for aesthetics and appearance? While all flies are beautiful in their own way, I would have to say there's a big difference between a craw pattern that took me 20 minutes to tie and looks great and a fully dressed Jock Scott Salmon fly that would have taken someone 6 hours or more. Save the more difficult patterns for your own enjoyment and tie the more mundane for the fishes enjoyment.

My 2 cents...

Fishymon.

well, I also don't matter of losing some flies when I go fishing. On our rivers exist so many teeth waiting for them. For that reason I will never use one of those flies. I tied one only once, the Green Highlander, and spent almost all day on it, but I also learned a lot of tricks to hold material on a hook without bulk. I am starting to study the Realistic Tying but I also think that Full Dressed and Realistic are only for display.

I am very sad sad.gif , last night, I lost a fly box to the Black River near Boonsville, New York. When I bent over, one of my boxes fell out of my vest and into the drink wallbash.gif . There were about 30 flies in the box and because the river was up, it moved out rather quickly crying.gif .

Well, this means one thing....the rest of this week and this weekend will be spent tying to replace the deceased little guys. dunno.gif

C'est la vie

OMG man that must have totally sucked-well some body down the river is gonna score good j_k.gif i came up with a cool little fly this evening-its an ant.i thought about it when panfishing-i saw an ant fall into the water and something big got him so i made this neat pretty much out of foam and rubber-the body is foam split into 3 sections-has 6 little rubber legs less than 4mm. long and has 2 antennas-im gonna try it out tommorrow.

anger in a fly flishing? I don't know but I love fly fishing because it have no angers. I think if you go fishing with anger or you will broke your rod or you will scare the trout or at least you will loose your fly in a defective casting or in the woods behind you. sad.gif blink.gif

QUOTE (FebFly @ Jul 20 2005, 03:22 PM)
anger in a fly flishing? I don't know but I love fly fishing because it have no angers. I think if you go fishing with anger or you will broke your rod or you will scare the trout or at least you will loose your fly in a defective casting or in the woods behind you. sad.gif blink.gif

I must go fishing angry a lot because I swear the trees move 5 ft closer to me every time I cast laugh.gif

so welcome to the club.

the trees behind me looks like Christmas Tree at the end of the day.

a friend of mine asked me some day: "hey, are you fishing for squirrels?" hysterical.gif

QUOTE (FebFly @ Jul 20 2005, 03:14 PM)
so welcome to the club.
the trees behind me looks like Christmas Tree at the end of the day.
a friend of mine asked me some day: "hey, are you fishing for squirrels?" hysterical.gif

"hey, are you fishing for squirrels?" hysterical.gif

or am I fishing for monkeys? well the trees behind me know my flies better than the fish in the river. just kidding, but when I began to flyfishing, I lost a lot of flies in the trees and in the grass behind me. it was difficult to get a perfect back casting.

bugeyes.gif