Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

12 years

So many stories similar to mine above. Started smoking at 16 when gas was a quarter a gallon and cigs a quarter a pack. Us kids could pull our money and come up with a buck for gas and cigs and cruise the strip all weekend. Quit alcohol (with treatment) at 26 and cigarettes exactly on year later as they advised in treatment. Maybe that's why telling people I'm 79 surprises them today though health has been a persistent problem like it is for most our age. My dad died of lung cancer in early 40's and Mom smoked 'til the die she died at 86. Brother, sister and I all had our go at them but got off them young and stayed off them all these years. Can still remember the shock when they hit .50 cents a pack about when I quit.

Wife quit with me later for years, then started again for several years, now off them again for years and hopefully permanently. Quittin smoking and quitting alcohol were both serious struggles at first but as mind and body lose the physical addiction then the mental part of it slowly diminishes too.

I've never been a cigarette smoker but my wife was- 2 packs a day for 25 years.  She decided to quit when our first Grandchild was born and I know it was probably the most difficult thing she's ever had to do.  She's been a non smoker for about a decade now.   My hats off to you Steve and everyone on this thread who beat cigarettes.

Quit right and left handed cigarettes and alcohol in ‘85.   Only temptation is when eating pizza; beer would be nice….

Congrats, Steve and the rest of you!  I finally quit on October 18, 2022.

The words from the Dr.: "You have cancer" were what made me quit cold turkey.

Many a day I still long for a smoke, but I just ignore it the best I can.

As for my cancer, they found it very early while monitoring some cysts on my pancrease. Surgery 2 weeks later and now just had

my 9th session of Chemo of 12.  Outlook looks very good. 

I have tried quitting several times through the years, but never made it.  This time is for good!