Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DWSmith

How many spools?

I'm going to start rigging up a little fly tying station.  One part will be for holding spools of threads, lead wire, no-lead wire, tinsel, etc.

How many spools should I plan for?  I know the numbers are going to vary wildly but I need to start somewhere.

Thanks!

More than you think you will need. I have 25 pegs that each hold 3 spools. I have another approximate 30 bobbins that each have a spool. 

C4521353-7B36-4744-BA6B-D161201A6670.jpeg

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

More than you think you will need.

LOL - nice.  

2 hours ago, DWSmith said:

How many spools should I plan for? 

As Poopdeck says, plan for expansion.  

I use the plastic spool holder boxes you can pick up in craft stores.  Right now I have 4 boxes of spools.  Not sure how many spools that is.  I have them separated by thread size.  One with 12/0 to 8/0 thread.  One with 6/0(the most common size I use).  One with 3/0 thread or heavier.  The other box holds floss, metallic thread, tinsel, wire and lead and clear polyester thread spools.  Basic color selection, white, black, yellow, orange, olive, brown/tan and gray.  Just to echo everybody.   Plan to expand.

ready to use on S&M bobbins, on the bench Nore Vise bobbins and extra spools, tinsel, lead, wire, in storage boxes like Philley said to keep out of sunlight to prevent UV damage organized by type, rest of stock in boxes under bench. 

Start small and grow this is many years of accumulation.

spool1.jpg

spool3.jpg

spools.jpg

Even though only use a few colors and 2 sizes mostly when I got all GanderMountain’s bobbins on sale for $2 and over the years it grows.  This is a 4x4” with many holes drilled down in it that holds the usual stuff. Got some long rods in the back for Drib, flosses stacked up.  Doubles are in plastic box. 

851DEFD7-F387-4933-A277-7238CEBD0E23.jpeg

Geez Louise!!!  I had no idea.

These commercially made systems I've seen now look like a waste of time to duplicate.  Thanks for enlightening (shocking?) me.  :D

On 4/10/2023 at 12:56 AM, DWSmith said:

Geez Louise!!!  I had no idea.

These commercially made systems I've seen now look like a waste of time to duplicate.  Thanks for enlightening (shocking?) me.  :D

Yep build your own. I started with 3 3"x1" drilled with 36 holes that I pegged w/ dowels to hold 2 spools/dowel. Now Those are all filled and more spools are on the bench. Plus filled bobbins too.

WalMart has quite a few spool racks in the sewing dept, some free standing.  I hung mine on the wall. 60 spool rack is only $20

I also took some wood, made a 3 level rack and put some dowels in it for close spools in addition to my walmart rack

spool rack.jpg