Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gene L

My carpal tunnel isn't doing my TRV any favors

Trying to squeeze the lever on a Regal vice was the first signal of the start of arthritis in my right hand.   I got the reel back from a friend that I had given it to many years ago.  I gave it to my niece for her new husband.  Voltaren works ok on the arthritis, not sure about carpel tunnel.  

Hadn't thought of a Regal, but it seems more like my right hand and so squeezing with my left hand may be unaffected.  I can tie on a Renzetti Traveler so long as I take my time on it, which isn't a bad thing with two good arms.

Have you seen an MD about your problem?

Ultimately, you may need carpal tunnel release surgery.

My advice is to not sell your vise until you have followed through and failed to improve sufficiently with all your treatment options.

6 hours ago, flytire said:

have you tightened the trv knob with your left hand? or both hands?

Yeah, but I can't tighten it enough with my lefty.  Getting old ain't for sissies.

First...we get older not old. 😁

A while back someone else here was having a similar problem and Mark Knapp offered up a wrench that fit the locking wheel to make life easier. It looked like it was machined from a hard plastic so it wouldn't harm the vise and its finish. You might want to contact him through the site.

7 hours ago, Gene L said:

Getting old ain't for sissies.

Yeah, and most of the time it beats the alternative.

I started a thread on my back surgery due to arthritis (and I have arthritis in several other places).  Seven and a half weeks after my surgery I'm so glad I had it done.

Carpal tunnel?  That's another matter that after 45 years at the keyboard I was lucky enough to never encounter.

Good luck to you Gene!

Getting old is a state of mind. I'm 74 and believe I'm oldER...not old. I enjoy every day and take the ups and downs of aging in stride. It's been a great ride and it's not over yet.

Hmmm...think I'll have another glass of wine🍷😎🍷

I'll be 78 next month.  Getting old is more than a state of mind.  I've had attempts from buxomly young ladies who want to be my friend and who have friends from Nigeria.  "Age is just a number" is what one said.  She's right, and the number is 78.

I'll be 69 next month.  Some days I feel like I'm 40 and some days I feel like I'm 95.  That's okay, I'll take whatever I can get.  :)

Wine sounds good but make mine a shot of whiskey please.  It's been quite a while.

4 minutes ago, DWSmith said:

I'll be 69 next month.  Some days I feel like I'm 40 and some days I feel like I'm 95.  That's okay, I'll take whatever I can get.  :)

Wine sounds good but make mine a shot of whiskey please.  It's been quite a while.

Understood...and I hope it is a good Irish whiskey. Despite how much I enjoy it...Single Malt Scotch tends to give me a headache.😎

2 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Understood...and I hope it is a good Irish whiskey. Despite how much I enjoy it...Single Malt Scotch tends to give me a headache.😎

Jameson, Wild Turkey 101, and Bulleit 95 Rye are my choices these days.  Nothing fancy but all are good enough for me!