Fly Tying
DWSmith

Eagle Claw fly hooks?

On 4/25/2023 at 12:53 PM, Philly said:

As you already mentioned, the only Eagle Claw hook I use is the Aberdeen style.  I like because it has, I think, a 3XL shank and a round bend.  I use them for streamers, poppers and sliders, crayfish patterns and Clousers.  I imagine you could use the smaller sizes of nymphs and possibly some dry flies.  I have them from size 12 to 3/0.  I've never seen a EC fly hook in any store or catalog, even the non-fly catalogs I get that carry EC hooks, don't have them in their fly tying sections.  Here's a couple of crayfish patterns tied on 3/0 EC Aberdeen hooks.

P4020563.JPG.2b3c7441886fe3b4ebb224718d511262.JPG

Can I ask how big of fish you are catching on these and how they are holding up? I bought some Eagle Claw Aberdeen hooks on clearance at a sporting goods store thinking that they would work for smallmouth streamers and crayfish patterns, but when I popped one in the vise, I was very surprised at how pliable the shaft was. I haven't used any of them because I was worried a 2-3lb smallmouth would bend or break the hook.

I haven't had any issues with them.   I use them for streamers and the crayfish patterns.  I've caught smallies in the 1 to 3 lb range with the crayfish pattern.  I was looking to see if I had any pictures.  I found one.  

IMG_0530.JPG.1f70a7df2c81bc341c14d01393a42a0c.JPG

1113313379_IMG_0530_1(2).JPG.8eb1486382b34bb503672ab3e15ebf83.JPG

I've since taken the props off the streamers.  They twisted the leader.

53 minutes ago, Philly said:

I haven't had any issues with them.

Great! Thanks so much!

Cabela's used to sell Eagle Claw fly hooks, but this was decades ago when they still put out a dedicated fly fishing catalog every year. I used the Eagle Claw hooks almost exclusively for years because they were inexpensive ($5-6/100 at the time) and never had any problems with them quality-wise.