Fly Tying
DWSmith

Eagle Claw fly hooks?

On the Daiichi Fly Tyer's Guide hook chart I see 10 different Eagle Claw hooks cross referenced to hooks made by other manufacturers but I don't remember seeing many posts here about using Eagle Claw hooks except for the Aberdeen hooks. Is there a problem with Eagle Claw hooks?  Do people just not like them?

Just wondering.

Thanks,

Dan

I used to use Tiemco and Daiichi hooks for two reasons.

The first is that they had the correct shape for the flies I tie.

The second reason is that they are "chemically sharpened" acid etched to sharpen the point.

Now I use Saber hooks which are the shop hooks from The Fly Shop. They are good and  inexpensive (about $7/100 hooks).

https://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=640&src=gaw&gclid=CjwKCAjw9J2iBhBPEiwAErwpeXA5PdGhagt-DCCEGPnPHr2VPRX3VLB38LY17L4wV2jnmGKRYzjnuhoCbOYQAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, SilverCreek said:

Now I use Saber hooks which are the shop hooks from The Fly Shop. They are good and  inexpensive (about $7/100 hooks)

I second SilverCreek on the Saber hooks. Just ordered close to 1000 Saber hooks and didn't find any duds.

Eagle claw is a solid hook and used a lot in conventional fishing. I don't think they ever really pursued the fly fishing/tying side of things much as a company, and I don't see them referenced hardly ever in fly recipes. If you use a table and find an Eagle claw to be equivalent to the hook referenced in a pattern I'd say go for it. Eagle claw just isn't likely to be labeled by shank length, wire diameter, etc like fly tying hooks are... that being said, if you find an Eagle claw hook to meet your needs it doesn't matter how its labeled. It's just not going to be a hook tiers reach for first when it isnt labeled "dry fly," "nymph," etc

Eagle Claw has marketed a few fly hooks over the years, but it's never been their focus.  I can't remember the last time I saw an Eagle Claw hook for sale in a fly shop. If you want an Eagle Claw fly hook your going to have really seek it out. 

As you already mentioned, the only Eagle Claw hook I use is the Aberdeen style.  I like because it has, I think, a 3XL shank and a round bend.  I use them for streamers, poppers and sliders, crayfish patterns and Clousers.  I imagine you could use the smaller sizes of nymphs and possibly some dry flies.  I have them from size 12 to 3/0.  I've never seen a EC fly hook in any store or catalog, even the non-fly catalogs I get that carry EC hooks, don't have them in their fly tying sections.  Here's a couple of crayfish patterns tied on 3/0 EC Aberdeen hooks.

P4020563.JPG.2b3c7441886fe3b4ebb224718d511262.JPG

I found their number in Denver, CO and spoke with a gentleman who informed me that Eagle Claw has discontinued ALL of their fly hooks.  I didn't ask him when but it doesn't really matter.  Unless I happen to accidentally run into some NOS their hooks are off of my list.  Too bad.

I found some Eagle Claw 90 degree jig hooks for Jaw Breakers, and other streamers in Bass Pro. Stout hooks 2xl (maybe 3xl). Walmart, as others have said, have the Aberdeen, great for dry flies and small nymphs, wet flies.

L055 nymph hook, L056 scud hook, L059 dry fly, 214 ring eye streamer,281 down eye streamer, L256U glow bug hook, 66SS stainless long shank(SW),085 nickel plate (SW) , 254AH O'Shaughnessy (SW) you can still find them in bargain bins and auction sites. might be more numbers these are the only ones I have listed in my reference sheets for eagle claw that I have used.  254 are a popular salt fly hook still.

6 hours ago, ScienceGuy141 said:

if you find an Eagle claw hook to meet your needs it doesn't matter how its labeled

Agree 100% - Is it heavy enough, light enough, long enough, is the gape big enough, shaped correctly -- -- for what you're tying.   

A have a few Eagle Claw 1197 hooks that I’ve had lying around for decades.  I believe I originally bought them to tie some shad or steelhead flies out of the Orvis fly pattern index.  Recently, I’ve decided to use them up on some saltwater patterns.  They seem to be decent hooks. 

Eagle Claw fly hooks listed on the Daiichi cross reference; 52, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 61, 63, 281, and 254SS.  But if they're not regularly available just use what works!

I've got an Eagle Claw Aberdeen in the vise that I've been practicing on.