Fly Tying
flyflinger

Introduction - flyflinger

Introducing myself:   

I've been fly fishing and fly tying for over 45 years, in Florida, Yucatan, California, Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, Wyoming,  Utah, Oklahoma, etc . . .  

I've lived in Colorado for the last 38 years, and a fly fishing guide and outfitter there for over 25 years.  My fly fishing and tying goes back to my roots in Florida in the 1970s, both fresh and saltwater.  I've taught fly fishing, entomology, and fly tying for many years.  

Regards,  

Thanks SilverCreek, I enjoy sharing . . . and if my advanced years have taught me anything, it's that there is always something new to learn!   

And what does it take to get relieved of that awful "Bait Fisherman" moniker?  😂 

(Curious, are you perhaps the same SilverCreek from AR Forum?) 

Regards, 

Welcome, we have fished a LOT of the same places through the years.  I have more than 12 years on you as far as tying goes.  We have done a lot of the same things as well.  

utyer, 

I started out my fly fishing and tying rather late in life in Titusville Florida in the late 1970s.  I had already graduated from college (Go Gators!) and finished four years in the Air Force.  My job at the Kennedy Space Center was on the Space Shuttle secure communications design.  It was there that I met a gentleman named Tom Lentz who got me interested in fly tying.  He was a long-time master tyer for Orvis and retired from Vermont to Florida.  He was an exceptionally kind man, and I was actually tying flies from his lessons before I owned a fly rod!  When I determined we were transferring to California, and then Colorado, he taught me how to tie trout flies.  In Florida, I learned to actually fly fish from Tom as well, and fished for bass bluegill, crappie, sea trout, redfish, snook, etc.  I was honored to have such an exceptional mentor in Tom Lentz.  Not having his expertise was one of the hardest things about leaving Florida.  Leaving the Florida heat and humidity in the summer months was not a problem!  On the upside, both my great kids were born in Titusville.  The estuaries around Titusville had not yet reached their legendary status, but it was a different time - Snook and Redfish were quite rare compared to today.  It was an interesting time; Flip Pallot wasn't internationally famous yet, Reddington and Gheen boats were young companies, and the waters like the St. Johns River and Lake Poinsett were not crowded, nor were the Indian River, Banana River, and Mosquito Lagoon.        

But I ended up in Colorado after a year in California.  I got a chance to learn trout fishing in California, and explore the Sierras.  Then, after a half dozen years in Colorado, I became fly fishing guide and worked for a couple of Fly Shops/Outfitters over the next 25 years.        

Regards,  

Welcome aboard. Make yourself at home and enjoy the site. Nice to see another reloader. I've been into firearms myself for many years but just a year ago got into reloading as well.

Steve

Steeldrifter,  

Hello.  Please let know if you ever want to discuss reloading.  I have a significant experience loading for quite a few different chamberings . . . both target and hunting loads.    

Regards,