Fly Tying

More wigglers

Now, if you could come up with a way to tie the little C’dads on a 1/16 or a 1/32 oz Crappie jig head, I would be all in. Any thoughts on that?

Interesting, that crawdad with the foam body and lip.  Hmm.  

I don't understand how the kinked shank helps with hook sets.  

The hump shanks are lots longer.  

I have another one that works well outa foam discs but it just dives no wiggle

14 minutes ago, denduke said:

The hump shanks are lots longer.  

I see, that makes sense now.  Thanks.  

On 5/18/2023 at 7:00 AM, niveker said:

crawdad with the foam body

These circled are foam bodied. 

11 hours ago, breambuster said:

Now, if you could come up with a way to tie the little C’dads on a 1/16 or a 1/32 oz Crappie jig head, I would be all in. Any thoughts on that?

These are tied on 1/4 jigs, but there's no reason they couldn't be tied on a 1/16 or 1/32 oz jig.DSCF1073.JPG.1dcdbe5a877bae72f3bf4e317caf9992.JPG

This one is tied on a 1/20 oz Ned jig

DSCF1067.thumb.JPG.7fd4b07690bd730c54eb40834e448e8f.JPG

These are for my Canadian trip and are for fishing with spinning tackle.   The ones I use with my fly rod are tied with medium to large dumbbell eyes which are in the 1/30 oz to 1/20 oz range.

15 hours ago, denduke said:

I was so pleased with my lil plastic lip foam bugs I went a step further. They have a great wiggle and long strips they wiggle along about 3” under the water. They float and make a very enticing sucking sound rather than pop or click. Anyway made some to mimic Cdads. I’ve got many Cdad patterns so here’s another. Planing on using clear intermediate or sinking line “booby style” for these hard fished Florida largemouths in my state lakes. Works like any surface popper as well. Might put glass rattles in the next bunch. The lips are fashioned from clear plastic fingernails and UV resin. I used the long humpshank hooks on these to promote good hook sets; which was a concern on the 3407 hooks. Lil trick “tying” the lips on. I found that placing the lip under the thread coated hook with lil drop of UV and torching it you can easily capture it for more thread wraps and extra coats to reinforce it. Sharpies the lips orange/brown. Gotta cut out some of the foam to kinda swallow the bulge. I prolly went overboard with the eyes, Pheasant breast claws but WTH…. Have some others.

743A9235-398C-443F-91EE-B88D584E94D9.jpeg

3D575AD3-9C87-4397-BA1E-CF1D1231BC14.jpeg

21CC5005-CFD7-431B-9850-FA84A72F5277.jpeg

CE95D9EE-3BC2-43E7-B13C-88A8698C8175.jpeg

486FE15E-9FFA-48E9-84C0-526B49F01510.jpeg

C51D6991-3769-497B-8CC1-FE96E7FA2FC8.jpeg

Did you have a link to the 3D eyes you have on your desk? Looks like a great color selection.

Can’t remember what craft store I gottem from.   

Here you go CT aren’t you a Kayaker?  Shrimp season right around the corner😂

For Breambuster..... I added 1/16oz jigheads to my line up a few months ago... Here's a pic or two (and you'll note the hooks are much more substantial than what you'll find on crappie heads..). 

LSGOUkd.jpg

all 1/16 heads (the ones with plastic tails have a barb on them...) .

nkgO45L.jpg

This shows the range of heads in this style that I work with from 1/2oz all the way down to 1/16oz.  all with super sharp, black nickel hooks for strength.. One of my anglers hooked up a 30lb tarpon yesterday with a 1/8oz leadhead and the lightest rod on the skiff.  After 15 minutes or so the fish jumped off - and we got our leadhead back - in great shape still ready for the next big fish... This was on 1/8oz head in less than five feet of water... The 1/16 heads are for even shallower places (in less than two or three feet of water...).  Here's a pic or two from yesterday's action... 

Bue60fc.jpg

5CIGexD.jpg

I'm booked to fish fly anglers for three days next week - if those small to medium sized fish are in the same place - they'll be getting a workout - tarpon stay hooked much better on the fly than they do if you're using lures... 

It would be a simple matter to tie up one of these small heads as a feather jig for small tarpon, or smallmouth bass (and everything in between...).  I'll have to do up a few samples and post a photo as an addition to this thread... Once I'm back up and running.  We had storm (hurricane) windows finally installed at our house and my workbench area is still in disarray.  This time of year I'm on the water most days so shopwork takes a backseat.... 

I love wigglers.  Floaters that dive a little when you pull them in are not so hard.  It's a bit trickier to balance them so they sink (however slowly) at rest, and then dive and wiggle vigorously on the retrieve.  I've been working on it for decades.   You can cast these or troll them downstream from a drift boat, into remarkably deep water.  And can make the bead as light or heavy as you want.

Guys (and gals) on lure-making channels sometimes spend days making one lure.  15 minutes each--or even less--is about right for me.

Boney-maroney.jpg