Fly Tying

Hello Speck swap!

I have always wondered why you wouldn't want to get one of yer own flies back.

since I rarely fish swap flies; I collect flies from flytiers, I like to have a complete set of swap flies, which means I like to have one of mine in there. it doesn't take much effort to include the extra fly, especially since many swappers include extras for the host anyways...

just something I've wondered about.

in swaps I host I ask for the same amount of flies as there are swappers and include 1 of each and everyone recieves a complete set, unless they send one less. that just seems like the right way to do it.

as usual you guys will prolly disagree w/ me, but that's cool too.

mgj

Well Mgj,

I suppose you have a point in saying you deserve one of your own flies also and so want to include and extra one with the flies you send so you'll get one back.

But, I gotta ask. If you want one of your own why go to the trouble of mailing it out just to get it back? You can simply tie it yourself for you right?

Hey RFMc

Getting one of your own flies back does make the sorting easier, rather than 12 piles with 12 diffrent sets of flies in it, making the SM figure who gets what. You now have 12 piles with the same set of flies, and it dosnt matter who gets what pile of flies. IMHO

The way its done here is if there are 12 swapers, each swaper ties 11 flies and dosnt get one of their own back.

QUOTE (atroutbum2 @ Aug 5 2005, 10:03 AM)
Getting one of your own flies back does make the sorting easier <snip>

I was about to say something along the lines of "Well Duh: If you want one of your own flies, tie an extra and hang on to it like I do..." but I'm glad I read your post before I stuck my foot in my mouth! bugeyes.gif

Heh heh heh

Cheers!

Gary

I am nearly done. Figures though, I ran out of hooks. I knew I would be close but oh well, gives me an excuse to drive to a shop tomarrow morning.

user posted image

Swap Wooly Worm

Hook: Mustad size 12 2XL, weighted

Body: olive chenille

Tail: 4 strands pink yarn

Hackle: grizzly (overwrapped with copper wire)

Thread: UNI #8 in rust brown

Method: Mix all ingredients and serve with a slushy marguerita

Critiques eagerly sought: I've only tied 2 of 'em so far, so it's easy to change something.

The really bright white in the tail is just an overexposure of the digital camera.

Cheers!

Gary

Yea Gary The only thing that Id change is the margurita part. sad.gif Can I serve them with guiness?? dunno.gif Other wise they look sweet I bet they would work great on gills and trout to. nice tie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! headbang.gif

Looks good Gary!

Whenever you guys are ready to send me your flies, PM me and I'll respond with my address. Keep an eye on the post that starts this swap for all the updates.

Good tyin'!

QUOTE (day5 @ Aug 6 2005, 06:31 AM)
Yea Gary The only thing that Id change is the margurita part. sad.gif Can I serve them with guiness?? dunno.gif

Day 5,

Certainly, my friend... This worm goes well with any beverage.

I chose margueritas as the perfect compliment for 2 reasons:

1) The worm theme... It's gotta go well with tequila; and

2) It's been hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut here lately and I was thinking of something cold. REALLY COLD. Like frozen tequila, frozen lime, frozen Triple Sec, frozen ice (heh!), all mixed in a frozen blender and served in a frozen beer mug.

Of course, should your current meteorological conditions allow you to comfortably enjoy your Wooly Worm with Mr. Guiness' fine, dark, creamy brew then I envy you smile.gif

Cheers!

Gary

Heres what i tied, its called a triple threat, its a killer on anything that eats minnows.

user posted image

Should have em done soon. Just waiting for the final swaper count.