Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Fly box project

Little project that I think will make my fishing days better. Got sick of having 10+ different fly boxes and having to sort through and carry multiple boxes on the river each day. So went to Michaels and bought a large art supply box and some thick craft foam for $12 and making one large box to keep most my dries & nymphs in. Then each day of fishing I can just fill one small box with the flies I'll need for that day and will have a much lighter load in the fishing vest/pack.

QNDd1sp.jpg

I am still using streamer boxes built off your posts from long ago (photo/scrap booking box and foam).  What glue are you using now to keep that foam in place.

22 minutes ago, Carl Z said:

I am still using streamer boxes built off your posts from long ago (photo/scrap booking box and foam).  What glue are you using now to keep that foam in place.

This one I used Shoe Goo to hold the foam in place. I have three of the streamer boxes I made where I used glue on, but with this box being thinner (1" deep) I figure there might be a little more flex to it. So I'm thinking the Shoe Goo with how it flexes without popping lose might end up working better in the long run.

I’ve been doing this for years and will never go back to carrying the entire fly shop. I tie flies, I stick them to foam sheets at the bench. I pick and choose which flies to take fishing, carrying as few as possible which is usually about but never more than 4 thin boxes that fit into a shirt pocket or cargo pocket. I do have some boxes that are specific to where I’m fishing and what I’m fishing for. A lanyard connected to my wader straps for tools and tippet, a small sling pack for water, treats, indicators and such and I’m calling it good. I’m about ready to jump down to wader pants since I rarely go deeper then knee deep. 

i see on Etsy people selling 3D printed dividers for altoid tins. Perhaps you could add those to your list of things you printed. 

Greg I dunno why I never did it with my dries & nymphs before, because I have been doing it with my streamers for years, but for some reason never really thought about doing it with my other flies 🤪

Definitely will be nice though to get a few of them boxes out of my chest pack pockets. Older I get the more I try to lighten the load while on the river that's for sure.

I'm rearranging my Havasu box too, cuz next year I'm getting really serious. I'm thinking of leaving all my spinning gear home and my buddies, taking just my fly gear. It's hard to mix buddies with conventional gear and fly fishing.

Prolly don’t want hear this but lotta flies can go in loosely in plastic boxes.  Best way to seriously compact stuff.  I don’t use dries much but no way I’m gonna mash them down in a foam box.  Whatever works…   Warm water boat or truck box … Alaska trip…Arkansas tailwater when I’m swinging streamers or hopper dropper; really simple in one box.  But I’m at a loss trying to organize the thousands of flies I have.  Little easier to separate warm water, salt water, trout and crossovers but I’m never happy if I don’t have the kitchen sink and abbreviation is a constant struggle. 😏   Another challenge is prerigged multiple stuff.

That's what I'm doing with my Havasu flies Denduke. I'll show the box when I'm done tying a few more and arranging.

2 hours ago, denduke said:

I don’t use dries much but no way I’m gonna mash them down in a foam box.

That's why I went with the box I did here. It's about an inch & half between the two foams so there's no chance of crushing the hackles. That was a problem I had in some of my normal store bought fly boxes. Once you filled both side the hackle would always get mushed down which always drove me nuts.

On 5/27/2023 at 12:56 PM, Poopdeck said:

i see on Etsy people selling 3D printed dividers for altoid tins. Perhaps you could add those to your list of things you printed

I had an Etsy seller 3D-print me some plastic molds to make silicone inserts for wooden fly boxes that I build. It works out great -- classic wood box outside, modern "Tacky" style fly storage inside