Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

Father’s Day fishing trip

With my one daughter in Costa Rico, the other in Italy, and the wife in Virginia, I found myself in the precarious position of being alone on Father’s Day. I can’t recall this ever being the case in the past. Not knowing what to do, I grabbed my 6 wt and went to a farther away then normal spot on the local WW creek. Started with poppers, nothing. Switched to clousers, nothing. Tried hoppers, nothing. Went with a chartreuse mop fly with an ice dub collar and gold bead and caught sunnies and rock bass on every cast. Did manage 2 SMB, one going maybe 9” and the other a solid 15” which is a good SMB for this creek. The creek is low, gin clear and filling up with slime fast. We need a good rain to wash it out some and bring the water levels up. Sorry no pictures just a story and a very enjoyable day. 

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

With my one daughter in Costa Rico, the other in Italy, and the wife in Virginia, I found myself in the precarious position of being alone on Father’s Day. I can’t recall this ever being the case in the past. Not knowing what to do, I grabbed my 6 wt and went to a farther away then normal spot on the local WW creek. Started with poppers, nothing. Switched to clousers, nothing. Tried hoppers, nothing. Went with a chartreuse mop fly with an ice dub collar and gold bead and caught sunnies and rock bass on every cast. Did manage 2 SMB, one going maybe 9” and the other a solid 15” which is a good SMB for this creek. The creek is low, gin clear and filling up with slime fast. We need a good rain to wash it out some and bring the water levels up. Sorry no pictures just a story and a very enjoyable day. 

Glad you had a good trip. Sounds like you had a pretty good Fathers Day anyway.

Yep, I enjoyed the day but it sure was different. The wife will be home on Friday so I just have to get through a week of Chinese food and Wawa sizzlis. 

Sounds like a pretty good day Poopdeck - although I get that Father's Day minus kids can feel weird. Mine have been away (college) three years, and it still feels a little ..off. They both called--while I was on my way to go fishing, as it happened--and that helped. 

Glad you were able to enjoy the day. Good luck with the Wawa Sizzlis 😄