Fly Tying
Poopdeck

The time has come

29 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Don’t you find you’re constantly taking them on and off your head?

No, not at my tying desk.  They're way down on my nose, so its easy to just look over them.  

I started using a magnifier like that a few years ago.  I have a hobby station that has an organizer, light, and a magnifying glass. I tried that first and it worked okay but it had a florescent light and even that was just too hot next to my head.  I bought a cheap one that uses LEDs as a light source for around $30 on Amazon.  Works great and it is easy to move out of the way.  I frequently use it just as a light source. I find myself using the thing for lots of things like digging out splinters and soldering as an example. I can even use it for some SMD soldering.  I'll eventually get a stereo or digital scope for soldering even smaller components. I sure hope not to need it for fly tying (if I ever need size #50 flies I'll start lobbing dynamite...).  The head worn magnifiers don't work for me when tying, anything farther than 10-12 inches away makes me think that Monet had a side gig making Rorschach prints.

Swamp

On 8/7/2023 at 8:06 PM, niveker said:

No, not at my tying desk.  They're way down on my nose, so its easy to just look over them.  

Of course. With the hat magnifiers I was looking under the lens. Perhaps I should try the readers without the bifocals. At the very least they may make me look wise.

22 hours ago, Swamp Fly said:

I started using a magnifier like that a few years ago.  I have a hobby station that has an organizer, light, and a magnifying glass. I tried that first and it worked okay but it had a florescent light and even that was just too hot next to my head.  I bought a cheap one that uses LEDs as a light source for around $30 on Amazon.  Works great and it is easy to move out of the way.  I frequently use it just as a light source. I find myself using the thing for lots of things like digging out splinters and soldering as an example. I can even use it for some SMD soldering.  I'll eventually get a stereo or digital scope for soldering even smaller components. I sure hope not to need it for fly tying (if I ever need size #50 flies I'll start lobbing dynamite...).  The head worn magnifiers don't work for me when tying, anything farther than 10-12 inches away makes me think that Monet had a side gig making Rorschach prints.

Swamp

With my hat magnifiers I had to be pretty close to the fly to be effective. With the big magnifier I can have my face much further away. I like the idea of using it to dig out splinters. I seem to get them a couple times a week. The little metal slivers are the worse and very difficult to see with the naked eye. 

You guys are getting old.  

I use three lights, a bench magnifier, progressive trifocals and try to stick with streamers!

15 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Of course. With the hat magnifiers I was looking under the lens. Perhaps I should try the readers without the bifocals. At the very least they may make me look wise.

With my hat magnifiers I had to be pretty close to the fly to be effective. With the big magnifier I can have my face much further away. I like the idea of using it to dig out splinters. I seem to get them a couple times a week. The little metal slivers are the worse and very difficult to see with the naked eye. 

Yeah, those little buggers suck.

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one getting old. I’m slowly working my way down to a size 2 hook. By and large I don’t tie much smaller than 16 anymore. But it seems they are making size 16 hooks smaller these days. 

I have tied since 1966, all that time with 20/20 vision in just one eye.  I lost the vision in the right eye in 58 or 90.  After surgery to reattach the retina, I only had some peripheral vision in the right eye.   I had to start wearing glasses somewhere in the early 90s.  I do use magnifiers on anything smaller than a size 18.  Saltwater patterns are no problem.  At 79, I feel lucky to be able to tie any flies I need.  I can still tie size 22 or 24 midges.  I use a 20" LED overhead light bar.  I have at least 5000 patterns stocked away so when the time comes, I can still keep on fishing without tying for a good while.  Knock wood.   

On 8/10/2023 at 9:31 PM, utyer said:

I have tied since 1966, all that time with 20/20 vision in just one eye.  I lost the vision in the right eye in 58 or 90.  After surgery to reattach the retina, I only had some peripheral vision in the right eye.   I had to start wearing glasses somewhere in the early 90s.  I do use magnifiers on anything smaller than a size 18.  Saltwater patterns are no problem.  At 79, I feel lucky to be able to tie any flies I need.  I can still tie size 22 or 24 midges.  I use a 20" LED overhead light bar.  I have at least 5000 patterns stocked away so when the time comes, I can still keep on fishing without tying for a good while.  Knock wood.   

That’s clean living right there.