Fly Tying
flytire

Black Squirrel Tail

Dyed black squirrel tail is harder to find than the oak island treasure

would i bleach a gray squirrel tail before dyeing black or just dye it black?

is there a recipe for black dye?

one etsy seller wants over $14 for one tail! no farking way!

Hi Norm,

There's supposedly a few in stock at Slide Inn for $4.50.  His site isn't that great as far as going by the "in stock"  listing,  since he got me a couple of months ago with a patch of Nature's Spirit comparadun hair that had 23 in stock when I bought a patch, and then I got a call from them saying they were actually out. For weeks after, they still had at least five still in stock listed for that item. 

Nature’s Spirit Squirrel Tail - Guided Fly Fishing Madison River | Lodging | Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn

Dyeing it black I would think would be easy depending on the type of dye used. 

Regards,

Mark

Squirrel tails need to be degreased and soaked for 24 hours prior to a dye bath, I do not bleach prior to dying and black may be easier to get good results I over dye dark brown or red first. 2 packs of Rit powder dye to one cup of water for base solution this should equal the Rit liquid dye (8 liquid oz for 2 pounds of clothing) 16 cups water 1/4 cup of white vinegar, add 2 tablespoons dye solution per squirrel tail in bath. never exceed 140 degrees temp for bath may take up to 8 hours for best results (add hot water as needed to keep solution from evaporating). black is the only color you can add more dye concentrate to the bath if it is not dark enough, add 1 tablespoon at a time, stir to get solution to base of hair. Hope this helps.

Chris

Black, according to one of my wholesalers is always difficult to do properly and end up with a  solid, colorfast, result.  Their routine started out with orange dye, followed by black..  instead of red or brown.

Years ago when I was filling lots of orders for fly shops, black tarpon flies (or patterns that had some measure of dyed black feathers, various different types of hair, etc were commonplace…).

One look at the dye transferred to my fingers showed just how “colorfast” stuff dyed black natural materials were…

If I run a batch this fall, I'll try a few orange but my best results have been with dark brown. Red or fox squirrel seem to get a better black than grays. Squirrel as a whole is a hard (not hollow like bucktail) slippery hair and can take a longer time to accept dye, most over 8 hours a few batches over 12. I have wondered if Jacquard Acid dye would get a better result (black) I have used some of their colors and been very satisfied but still sitting on packs of Rit black.

Hi Norm,

If you haven't found those black squirrel tails yet, I send you one (maybe two, not sure of my present inventory), N/C.

Contact me at artistspad (at) outlook. (com)

Rich S

Norm we have squirrels here in New England that come in black from the factory so I'm wondering if the stuff sold in fly shops is natural black or dyed? Just curious-

1142208650_Blacksq.JPG.910b3273386a94cff6ed1584ed2b45bd.JPG

never seen a natural black squirrel in connecticut

i have a gray squirrel that tries to get into my bird feeders. maybe one day he wont

the ones that committ suicide under a car tire are usually dinner for the black vultures circling above