Fly Tying
flytire

September Flies From the Vise

39 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Out of curiosity, what is the type of goose feather you're using? Wing primaries, or seconderies or something else?

They are wing primaries.

1 minute ago, TSMcDougald said:

They are wing primaries.

AHA!!  If you were to use the soft shoulder feathers you would find they will marry quite easily to the teal in the wing. After looking at that Ray Bergman pattern it appeared to me that is what the dyed feathers are. No such luck with turkey feathers though, possibly wild bird flats may do the trick.

John McLain at feathersmc.com has the goose shoulders in a gazillion colors.

why would the teal marry better with goose shoulder fibers and not the goose primaries when they all should have the hooks (lack of a better word) that zipper together?

37 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

AHA!!  If you were to use the soft shoulder feathers you would find they will marry quite easily to the teal in the wing. After looking at that Ray Bergman pattern it appeared to me that is what the dyed feathers are. No such luck with turkey feathers though, possibly wild bird flats may do the trick.

John McLain at feathersmc.com has the goose shoulders in a gazillion colors.

I will check into that, thank you for the advice!

Montreal-Yellow-1080.jpg

Montreal Yellow

Hook - Mustad Heritage
Thread - Black
Tip - Gold tinsel
Tail - Scarlet
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Yellow wool
Hackle - Claret
Wings - Brown turkey

Trout - Ray Bergman

1 hour ago, flytire said:

why would the teal marry better with goose shoulder fibers and not the goose primaries when they all should have the hooks (lack of a better word) that zipper together?

Simple...they are softer fuzzier feathers that are closer in texture to the teal than the wing primaries or secondaries. Makes for easier tying. Marrying the teal to the wing feathers is not impossible, but why fight it when there is material better suited to the job.

6 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Simple...they are softer fuzzier feathers that are closer in texture to the teal than the wing primaries or secondaries. Makes for easier tying. Marrying the teal to the wing feathers is not impossible, but why fight it when there is material better suited to the job.

👍👍

might give that a try

goose shoulder expensive $$💰💰

for 1-2 flies

16 minutes ago, flytire said:

👍👍

might give that a try

goose shoulder expensive $$💰💰

for 1-2 flies

Actually it is relatively cheap. McLain gets $12.00 for a pack of 6 feathers (3 matched pairs) of extra select feathers...and believe me they are superb quality.

6 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Actually it is relatively cheap. McLain gets $12.00 for a pack of 6 feathers (3 matched pairs) of extra select feathers...and believe me they are superb quality.

I can vouch for that

3 hours ago, TSMcDougald said:

They are wing primaries.

One more thing to consider. I know from my years tying classic salmon flies, if never hurts to make adjustments in the ingredients. Put the teal between the yellow and blue goose. trust me...no harm no foul.

1 hour ago, SalarMan said:

If youre buying - i'm tying

HzL (3).gif

The goose shoulder that I have (Hareline) has wispy fiber tips on the bottom 2/3 of the length of the feather, leaving only the top 1/3 to use when tying.  Is the McLain (or any other brand) different in this regard; in other words is the entire feather usable (other than the bottom fluff)?  If the entire feather is usable, then they are probably worth the premium price.

Also, the shoulder feathers that I have appear to be mirrored right and left on each feather.  But, when I try to match  slips from each side of the same feather for marrying, it doesn't work and I have to use what appear to be a right and left feather to get them to marry.  Is that always the case?

Thanks, Bob H