Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tagsoup

Hello from the west

I'm a complete n00b, still waiting for my vise, basic tools, and hooks and materials to arrive. Any freakin day now... 

I've been fly fishing for a couple of decades but not seriously. But now I'm serious, oh man am I serious. You can wipe that smirk off your face. Is something funny? 

It's gonna be a long cold winter and I'll lean pretty hard on you guys (and gals) to get me through some difficult patterns, so thank you in advance and sorry for the dumb questions. Maybe in 40 years I'll feel qualified to help others with tying but for now if anyone has questions about archery or bushwacking through miles of blackberry to get skunked again, I've got a little experience. I'll keep the good stuff in the PM's. 

Welcome to the site. Be patient with yourself, share the patterns you tie, ask for feedback, and remember that there are a lot of great people on this site who are willing to help you shorten your learning curve. 
Tom

Welcome tagsoup! nothing better than a cold winter day next to the woodstove with a vise and some materials. Plenty of help and experience here don't be afraid to add your 2 cents or ask questions.

Chris

Welcome tagsoup!  This is a great forum for both learning and sharing.  There are many thoughtful and knowledgeable folks here.    

Regards,

p.s. I have been left with "tagsoup" many years, but the outdoor experience always triumphed over the lack of so-called "success" . . .

cphubert, that's my plan, minus the woodstove. I had to leave it behind in the high cold lonesome, and I miss that life dearly. 

flyflinger, I could learn a lot from you. Say hi to my homestate for me. 

Welcome to the site from and OLD born and bred central NYer.  I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for the past 13+.  I can keep myself warm by tying AND I have 4 wine trails within a 2 hour drive (with some right in my backyard!) - now THAT'S' warm!  If you'd like some pattern ideas feel free to join one of my swaps, they are open to all level tyers and swaps are 1 of 3 ways to effectively learn how to tie (classes and sitting down with a more experienced tyer being the other two. You get at least 6 and up to 12 other patterns and you get  one to test drive on your home waters - and who's vote is more important than the fish's!

I can also provide extra assistance to newer tyers including a set or two of suggested patterns for you to tie, tips/tricks/traps to avoid when tying your chosen pattern, and feedback to you on your ties including where you did well and where you could improve (along with specific, simple steps on how you can make the improvement).

Either way I do look forward to seeing your posts and if you'd like my Fly Swaps 101 notes just ask and I'll be happy to send them to you - the wine you'll have to find yourself!😉

Kim