Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Tippet -- The good, bad & ugly...

Loop -  4' .020 MC - 1' .013 Amnesia - 3mm ring - 4' 1x (or 0x or 2x) - 2 mm ring

The curly cues are when I tie the 1x (or 0x or 2x) "Powerflex Plus" to the 2mm tippet ring. (It also happens with smaller Powerflex Plus on other leaders, tying them to tippet rings. I don't have the issue with blood knots.) I think it's a combination of the Powerflex Plus, the washer shaped tippet ring, the clinch knot, and my spit being old man spit. I changed knots to uni knot and started using lube instead of spit, and if I'm more cautious than usual I can get a good knot even with the Powerflex Plus and the washer shaped ring. But the regular Powerflex is better, and the $1 rings are definitely better. 

I've never had this problem to this degree before. After the Powerflex Plus is gone I'll go back to Powerflex (regular). If the washer shaped rings cut my line then I'll replace with jump rings, and if those are giving me problems I'll go back to $1 rings... I also bought something they're calling Rio "Suppleflex," in 5, 6, and 7x. Haven't tried it yet, but I assume it won't be a problem as it's a lot softer.

It's funny. Many moons ago I went from Powerflex to Powerflex Plus and back to Powerflex again.  I loved Powerflex but thought Powerflex Plus would be even better.  It might be, but not for me.  Even my clinch knots were weaker.  I notice different guys like different stuff and I think it's in the way we tie our knots differently.  Then again, I'm probably plum loco.

48 minutes ago, tferg said:

I notice different guys like different stuff and I think it's in the way we tie our knots differently

Maybe this. 

When I called Rio they said it's not the tippet, but the Plus is different, and to stand by their products they're sending me some replacement Powerflex regular. I didn't ask or complain, I was just trying to get their take on it. Good company.

49 minutes ago, tferg said:

Then again, I'm probably plum loco.

I know it's driving me knots

On 9/26/2023 at 10:06 PM, chugbug27 said:

I know it's driving me knots

Chugbug27, must you? 😉