Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Tippet -- The good, bad & ugly...

Yup, that's where I'm getting the leader formulas I'm trying out.

And if squatch thinks I'm insufferably annoying, imagine how my family feels...

Years ago I used the formulas included with the Orvis leader kit. Just came across it again the other day, I don't imagine the line is good anymore. I think there's 27 spools of nylon line of different diameters. 

43 minutes ago, niveker said:

Years ago I used the formulas included with the Orvis leader kit. Just came across it again the other day, I don't imagine the line is good anymore. I think there's 27 spools of nylon line of different diameters. 

Has it been stored away in a air tight container (protects against ozone) away from light in the dark?

If so, it is probably still OK. Test strength of thinner line.

Its gotta be 40+ years old, but you never know.  I'll test some of spools when I dig it out again.  

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Its gotta be 40+ years old, but you never know.  I'll test some of spools when I dig it out again.  

Then I would toss it. 

With tippet that old, if the tippet was still good, modern tippets are so much stronger per diameter and limper that the old tippet would be less effective.

On 9/21/2023 at 9:09 AM, chugbug27 said:

Ah, yes. I am trying out tying my own leaders to see how I like it. Trying different formulas, a few leaders for each formula...

Ah, I remember the posts... And I wouldn't want to bet on which one of us is the cheaper... Before this I probably only bought four packs in several years, and with one of them the rings spilled into the river. (Learned the hard way to tie them on the pin / clip.)

Tying my own leaders is probably not saving money, after tippet rings I go through leaders much less often. But it's something I've wanted to try and my last little adventure with tricos left me wanting to figure out a better leader.

And thank you niveker and Bryon, and flytire, I'm gonna get those stainless jump rings from Fire Mountain Gems. I might buy some Miyuki beads from them while I'm at it.

Gary Borger's Uni Body leader, I used to tie complicated trout leaders, lots of sections, lots of blood knots. PITA. Now I use Gary Borger's Uni Body leader, http://www.garyborger.com/2012/05/09/uni-body-to-harvey-style-leader/  As to tippet rings. I get either Rio or Orvis, they're about a buck apiece.  Compared to all the other fishing stuff I have they don't even register on the dollaromemeter.  Warm water, you're on your own.

On 9/21/2023 at 9:09 AM, chugbug27 said:

Ah, yes. I am trying out tying my own leaders to see how I like it. Trying different formulas, a few leaders for each formula...

2 knots per ring. 1 knot per two leader sections w/o the ring. To try different leader formulas I'd go w/ a blood knot, cause I can tie 'em and I can leaver the new section as long as I need. Triple surgeon's has too much waste for me.

I'll probably end up there, but I'm gonna experiment a bit first.

Meanwhile, I've learned I've been tying my blood knots "wrong" for 30 years - though they've never failed that I can recall. Maybe just a different method of getting to the same knot, but my brain is not capable of figuring it out so I'm doing it the way they're saying on YouTube. The new method is a little easier to tie actually.

https://youtu.be/q06QKib1AEQ?si=78vNz8XWAPThnDYE

Oh, and I've given up on the clinch knot after 30 years. Using the uni knot, crumpled tippet problem solved.

https://youtu.be/Ya7ScS6EfOY?si=qysbXiv1isQEtUMr

And I'm using odor free water based lube on the knots instead of spit. Emotionally disturbing, yes, but it works better. Not bringing it on-stream, though, strictly behind closed doors on that part.

24 minutes ago, Sandan said:

2 knots per ring. 1 knot per two leader sections w/o the ring. To try different leader formulas I'd go w/ a blood knot,

Yes, just tying up a bunch of different leaders, each mostly with one ring (Borger's uses 2) at the end right before the final tippet

I'm probably going overboard on the leaders, wouldn't put it past me, but I still can't stomach $1 a ring for these. Uni knot seems to have solved my crumpled tippet problem, even with Powerflex plus and even with the cheap washer shaped tippets. 

If the panfish break off my tippet at the ring, I'll switch over to the jump rings or spring for Rio.

52 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Yes, just tying up a bunch of different leaders, each mostly with one ring (Borger's uses 2) at the end right before the final tippet

I'm probably going overboard on the leaders, wouldn't put it past me, but I still can't stomach $1 a ring for these. Uni knot seems to have solved my crumpled tippet problem, even with Powerflex plus and even with the cheap washer shaped tippets. 

If the panfish break off my tippet at the ring, I'll switch over to the jump rings or spring for Rio.

Uni is a good knot for sure. How fine of tippet are you using 4X, 5?  I usually use the Uni to tie a dropper to the bend of the hook above it.

It's the 0x -2x that gives me the worst problem with the clinch, but I'm planning on using the uni on all sizes down to 8 where needed, unless it has limits. 

3 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

It's the 0x -2x that gives me the worst problem with the clinch, but I'm planning on using the uni on all sizes down to 8 where needed, unless it has limits. 

Just a thought using the uni for leader section to leader section has me wondering about that loop to loop strand cutting in to each other.