Fly Tying
SalarMan

LAW Vise For Sale

I understood that. I would be glad to free ship it overnight express whatever. Can't blame the seller for trying 😁

As far as at $15 grand and afraid to tie on it. Nope...if I could drop that kind of money on a vise I'd be HAPPY to tie flies on it. 🤪

57 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

I understood that. I would be glad to free ship it overnight express whatever. Can't blame the seller for trying 😁

As far as at $15 grand and afraid to tie on it. Nope...if I could drop that kind of money on a vise I'd be HAPPY to tie flies on it. 🤪

Same here

The $15k seller has "more reasonable" competition, but still crazy! . . .  

https://www.barder-rod.co.uk/product/law-fly-tying-vice-made-by-lawrence-waldron-in-2008/ 

The world of vintage and unusual/rare vises has gotten interesting.  Check this one on an Orvis vise - bids are going quite high, and still 5 days to go . . . 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335088308836    

Regards,

Even at 3700 British pounds it is still way over the top for something to hold a hook for tying flies.

I know you guys are smart. But in my very humble, or not so much, opinion, people are comparing apples and oranges. Working vises are different from collectable vises. You can tie on a collectable vise but really the pleasure in having a collectable vise or any collectable, is in the owning of it, not tying on it. When it comes to collectables, it's no longer about the vise, or practicality. It's about how much someone desires that item and how much disposable income a person has. If it's an auction, it's about how much two people want the item and how much disposable income they have. Practicality has nothing to do with it. That person or people that has the money can do whatever he/she wants to with it. Money is for spending, that's what it's for. It's his money. Like they say, you can't take it with you.

If I ever make a snot load of money, after I give some to Shriner's and St.Jude's and take care of my family, I will do with my money what I want. I'd probably buy a house boat and put it on Lake Havasu and make everybody jealous. Then I'd buy an ocean boat and make more people jealous. And hire a bunch of people to take care of those things and I'd fly fish and tie flies all day and people would be jealous. I wouldn't be trying to make people jealous, but they would be.😁

When I'm done with my medical procedures, and if I'm healthy enough to finish my first damascus fly tying vise, made from scratch, it will, if things go well, sell for over 15 thousand bucks. That vise will take over a thousand hours to make and I hope will look like no other vise made. It will be one of a kind. No one else will have one. I'm not making it to make a bunch of money (and I won't), I'm making it because I want to.

I once made a knife for a guy for two thousand dollars, by the time it was done, I had enough hours in it to charge $4,000.00 for it but I had told him $2,000.00, so two thousand is what it was. About three months later, I heard he had sold it to a neighbor for TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. I called him and checked on the rumor. Sure enough he had. I congratulated him.

Rarity, adds to collectibility and price, like the Law Vise.

I am sure that there are people that will talk about me, and my vise, how they talk about other high end vises and makers. It's OK if they do but to me they are missing the point.

Say what you want but, any commodity is worth exactly what some one is willing to pay for it. Sometimes it's less than society thinks and sometimes it's more. It doesn't matter how much it costs to make, what it originally sold for or what similar thing like it costs, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I know it's still fun to talk about though. Carry on.

Just my .02, 😁😊😄

3 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I know you guys are smart. But in my very humble, or not so much, opinion, people are comparing apples and oranges. Working vises are different from collectable vises. You can tie on a collectable vise but really the pleasure in having a collectable vise or any collectable, is in the owning of it, not tying on it. When it comes to collectables, it's no longer about the vise, or practicality. It's about how much someone desires that item and how much disposable income a person has. If it's an auction, it's about how much two people want the item and how much disposable income they have. Practicality has nothing to do with it. That person or people that has the money can do whatever he/she wants to with it. Money is for spending, that's what it's for. It's his money. Like they say, you can't take it with you.

If I ever make a snot load of money, after I give some to Shriner's and St.Jude's and take care of my family, I will do with my money what I want. I'd probably buy a house boat and put it on Lake Havasu and make everybody jealous. Then I'd buy an ocean boat and make more people jealous. And hire a bunch of people to take care of those things and I'd fly fish and tie flies all day and people would be jealous. I wouldn't be trying to make people jealous, but they would be.😁

When I'm done with my medical procedures, and if I'm healthy enough to finish my first damascus fly tying vise, made from scratch, it will, if things go well, sell for over 15 thousand bucks. That vise will take over a thousand hours to make and I hope will look like no other vise made. It will be one of a kind. No one else will have one. I'm not making it to make a bunch of money (and I won't), I'm making it because I want to.

I once made a knife for a guy for two thousand dollars, by the time it was done, I had enough hours in it to charge $4,000.00 for it but I had told him $2,000.00, so two thousand is what it was. About three months later, I heard he had sold it to a neighbor for TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. I called him and checked on the rumor. Sure enough he had. I congratulated him.

Rarity, adds to collectibility and price, like the Law Vise.

I am sure that there are people that will talk about me, and my vise, how they talk about other high end vises and makers. It's OK if they do but to me they are missing the point.

Say what you want but, any commodity is worth exactly what some one is willing to pay for it. Sometimes it's less than society thinks and sometimes it's more. It doesn't matter how much it costs to make, what it originally sold for or what similar thing like it costs, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I know it's still fun to talk about though. Carry on.

Just my .02, 😁😊😄

Well said and on point sir.  

1 hour ago, Gene L said:

Got any pictures of a $10,000 knife? That's exclusive.  A two-thousand dollar knife is way beyond my budget.

Here is a picture of the knife that resold for $10,000.00

Knapp_150606A.jpg

2 hours ago, Gene L said:

That's a beautiful knife.  What's the handle made of?

Thank you. It is done with a technique I developed that makes abalone shell usable in 3 dimensional form. Most of the time you see it used in 2D because the material itself is thin and mostly flat. I'm the only one I know of that uses it so it can be seen all the way around the handle instead of just on two sides. The spacers are blue amber with nickle/silver liners and the furnishings are mokume with Amber/abalone inlay.