Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DWSmith

It's baaaaaack.

Had about an inch of snow Tuesday afternoon/night.  Wednesday afternoon I was in the backyard walking the dogs and saw its tracks go all the way across the yard twice about 30 feet behind the house.  It's our friendly, neighborhood mountain lion.

We had one the "area" a few years ago (western Connecticut) state DEP said no- many pictures and a few missing large pets and goats/sheep then one was killed by a car. DEP claimed it was a Wyoming cat from DNA and still claims they do not exist in CT or are escaped pets. I have heard of deer carcasses in trees but have not witnessed anything myself but would not be surprised. 

22 hours ago, cphubert said:

We had one the "area" a few years ago (western Connecticut) state DEP said no- many pictures and a few missing large pets and goats/sheep then one was killed by a car. DEP claimed it was a Wyoming cat from DNA and still claims they do not exist in CT

I remember that story.  Back when my boys were in Scouts, there was another Dad who was an EPO in Mass.  He swore up and down that there was no evidence of any mountain lions in this area (Quabbin).  Having worked in the area for years and visited with many homeowners whose property back up to or were in close proximity to the Quabbin wilderness, I'd heard too many stories about mountain lions to believe him.  I'd always hoped to come across some sign of them in my many hikes in the area, but never did.  

The Iowa DNR posted a map of verified sightings a few years ago.  In Des Moines Law Enforcement killed one in a backyard near a school. Now and then a hunter will kill one and its picture will be in the paper.  A coworker was out jogging in a rural area and came over the crest of a hill.  There were two mountain lions sunning  a bit off the path.  Calves have been found up in trees.  I saw one from our dining room laying on top of a big, round hay bale grooming itself near dusk.  I and other family members have made other sightings.  The neighbors warned us to carry firearms when we first bought our land.

They are not protected so they can be killed on sight.

Although denied by the DNR, they are being brought in slowly in an effort to provide predators for the deer population.

The dogs stay close to us when we suspect there's one nearby but they also do that when the coyotes are nearby.  They've had some run ins with coyotes.

I like having them in the area when they're at a distance.  I'd never shoot one unless I felt threatened.