Fly Tying
LisaLou

Driftwood display ideas needed

That Christmas tree is nothing short of  hideous. My ever so humble personal opinion is flies are for fishing not decorating. I have never seen a way to display flies that looked the slightest way appealing for home decor. I like driftwood pieces so maybe you’re on the right track. I would keep it simple, highlight the driftwood and use a single fly as accent simply by burying the hook in it like a snag. The addition of clips, magnets, hard mono, putty, multiple flies,  etc… would only junk it up and reduce it in looks to an elementary school project.  I don’t think you’re ever going to accent multiple flies with driftwood or anything else so keep the focus on the driftwood.  I’ve seen some stunning driftwood decor. 

At least 2 schools of thought on this.Fly tying can be art ,just look at the pages of beautiful ties on this site.Current and past members have made art of a piece of steel and fur and feathers.Display them however you want. I tie to throw not for show as they say.That is why i rarely post many pics as my flies are effective for me but mostly not show pieces.I was a tradesmab for 40 years and i approach my tying the same way.I am no artist.Fly fishing is a niche for sure.Other forums are full of pics of 6 inch trout ,although beautiful fish and photos most regular anglers would find amusing to be so thrilled over a 6 inch fish.I came to this flyfishing/tying thing on my own.More to get some giant gills i had acess to that fed on the surface and wer not easy to catch on bait and spinning gear.It worked and i never looked back.My first fish on a fly was a 4lb largemouth on a very crude sz12 black gnat type fly fishing for bluegills.If folks want to catch 6inch mountain brook trout on 800 dollar rods more power to them.I put the fly rods down more often these days as some days i want to catch more and bigger fish tho i rarely keep a fish these days.Just the opposite of trout anglers i keep trout as they are stocked in the spring and will not survive when the water warms up.I do love to flyfish but it is certainly not the most productive way to fish.I also really enjoy tying so i need a flyrod to fish them.I also like vintage gear so i have a lot of old flyrods.The few people i do encounter with a flyrod look at my old Browning /Silaflex,Wonderods ,Phillipsons etc as if i was driving a Model T or something.Most of them never took the time to even learn to cast well.Life is short ,do what makes YOU happy.

Over the years, on more than one occasion... Here's what I've recommended to my anglers when they have an outstanding catch they want to memorialize... I hand them the fly to clean up and preserve as well as my best photo of the event - then encourage them to do a shadow box display - with both the photo, and any info they want to record - as well as the fly (with leader if desired...) mounted under (or over) the photo.  Done properly it makes a GREAT display... 

When I started working on boats, more than fifty years ago... I was working as a mate on boats sailing out of Miami  Beach (Haulover and Castaways docks) and green as grass (understatement).  This was years before I took up guiding out of a small skiff and in that time we killed every fish we could and sent as many of them as possible to the taxidermist for mounting that "trophy".  I'm very glad that world is long gone and nowadays most anglers prefer catch and release if they're not keeping a few fish for the table... 

Thank you all for ideas, it’s so nice for people to show interest in my stuff, since no one at home fishes but me.   haven’t dealt with the driftwood yet, but I did find a good piece to start with.  I definitely could use thicker mono line so the flies don’t droop.  I did however, make a couple cool displays using old doorknobs(which I can not leave out, due to new puppy).  I also found plastic air plant globes at the dollar store and they make a really nice hanging display, up where I don’t worry about the puppy getting into it.  I love the globes.  Overflow storage for extra beads and looks awesome.  I know the sun will harsh the flies, but the window is east and gets little direct light and I will change them often.  I apologize for terrible photos, but the glare kept ruining them and the focus.  Plus I got my phone damp fishing and it’s already 7 years old.
 IMG_5646.thumb.jpeg.40b51402c5f82ebf33957c23066e88de.jpegIMG_5647.thumb.jpeg.66b0dedce03a97522acd8678d98d6e7a.jpeg

I made these from some beaver cuttings I collected along the Miramichi

Azeag4n.jpg

TDEtQOL.jpg

IWVp1ge.jpg

SA9G54I.jpg

Gary

18 hours ago, GPT said:

I made these from some beaver cuttings I collected along the Miramichi

Beautiful work Gary, you always make great presentations!

On 1/19/2024 at 6:23 PM, GPT said:

I made these from some beaver cuttings I collected along the Miramichi.

I might have to change my opinion on using flies for decoration. They look great, nice job!

Very nice, Gary!  Very classy looking!  Anyone should be proud to display something like that.