Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

Project ... runner or artwork?

So, I was given an outboard engine.

Elto 01.jpg

Which turns out to be a circa 1930/1935 Evinrude Elto.  Very few pictures of this particular engine exist online, at least in my searches.

20240104_112248.jpg

I started with the easy parts, the lower end.

Elto 02.jpg

Elto 03.jpg

Water pump.

Elto 04.jpg

Elto 05.jpg

and gear case.

Elto 06.jpg

Found out why the engine wouldn't turn over.  The cylinder is rusted, bad.  The piston couldn't be moved, so I had to chisel it out in pieces.

Elto 07.jpg

The fuel tank with built in carburetor and reed valve assembly came apart relatively easily.  But, I haven't been able to get the main jet fuel tube out.

elto 10.jpg

elto 11.jpg

I'm going to see if I can rigid hone the cylinder and get a piston that will fit.  If I can, I might be able to make a runner out of it.

Otherwise, I'll just polish it up as a piece of antique art.

Everything about that motor is cool. I’m rooting for you to make a runner out of it. Good luck. 

Wow. Good luck with that.  That'd be great if you got it running again. 

I looked on eBay and saw more Evinrude Elto engines, parts, gasket kits, manuals, brochures, decals and stuff than I would have imagined.  Seems like there were lots of models.  There is one mint engine that fits in a suit case looking box that the seller is looking for twelve thousand.  This is more than a challenge.  Keep us posted on your work and thanks for sharing.

8 hours ago, johnnyquahog said:

I looked on eBay and saw more Evinrude Elto engines, parts, gasket kits, manuals, brochures, decals and stuff than I would have imagined.  Seems like there were lots of models.

I've looked, and so far, very little of what I've found is for this engine.  Mostly, I'm finding stuff for the models that have the fuel tank behind and the handle on the opposite side.  Mine has the fuel tank in the front with the handle mounted to it.

8 hours ago, johnnyquahog said:

There is one mint engine that fits in a suit case looking box that the seller is looking for twelve thousand.

First time I saw that one, it was going for $15,000.00, so he's dropped the price.