Fly Tying

Have you ever used them

ive used them in a fly and bubble setup with a spinning rod and reel way back before i started fly fishing

great wat to get a presentation way off shore

packaged flies.jpg

When I bought my first flyrod from a Hardware store closing out he gave me two round plastic containers with flies and poppers in them.

Used them for about 6 months and then got into tying.

Rick

I have used something similar to them-usually not the best quality but works in a pinch. When I first started fly fishing and went to shops, a guy told me one time-don't just buy 1 fly get 2 in case you lose the 1st fly. I used to fish a stream where I live and there was this one guy who always asked me for a fly-he didn't have anymore. I thought this was odd, and said flies are not cheap so no. My friend also encountered same guy. Guy was using the packaged flies as shown above.

When on my road of wanderlust, I have had to resort to prepacked flies from big box stores on rare occasion. but I usually find a fly shop or local guide and get what I need. I have no problem supporting a local shop or guide and buying a local favorites.

I'm guessing this is probably the same for most of us but in my first few seasons I used store bought flies.  Getting set up from scratch to fly fish and wade streams is expensive, even with relatively low end gear.  At the time I wasn't even sure I could learn to cast so adding on a vise, tools and materials needed to wait.  Right from the start I wanted to tie my own flies but first I needed to know if I could learn the basics of fly fishing.  Then I needed to determine how much I liked it.  For some fly fishing is an expensive source of frustration.  Poor casting resulted in many lost flies so it wasn't long before replacement cost had me thinking about learning to tie. 

I haven't bought a fly for my own use now in 15 years.   I don't know why it makes a difference to me who tied the fly that I'm fishing, it shouldn't- but it does.