Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TKenneth

BH Hares Ear Nymph - Please Critique

My first week of tying, started with some easy midges and have just tried my first two Hares Ear Nymphs. First time tying a wing case, and first time making a dubbing noodle. I also think I want a slightly longer hook, even though this ine is a size 14 2×, I have another brand in the same size and its noticably longer. And I feel like the tail is too long.

Anyway, I know its not terrible for a first try, but if anyone has advice or tips on things that may help me improve, that would be great! 

Oh, I used a 7/64" bead, size 6/0 thread, hares ear dubbing, and pheasant tail. And soon I will have my camera back and can get better pics.

20240127_210333.thumb.jpg.b5d34dec2231bec818cb4a102c38d412.jpg

20240127_211212.jpg

Looks like you tied the fly on a scud type of hook, 2 extra short (XS) (not 2XL = 2X long); plus the presence of a bead that takes up 1/3 of the hook shank length further shortens the effective hook shank length you have for materials. The wing case you tied is slightly longer than the rest of the body of the nymph

PROPER PROPORTION and CONSISTENCY. Those are the hardest things for a new fly tier to master so those are the two things you need to work on. PROPORTION is really important. If your friend came to see you and had a huge head and short legs, you would know there is something wrong.

Pay attention to proportion.

Proportion is to fly tying what presentation is to fly fishing. 

The proper amount of material placed in the proper relationship to the proper part of the hook in the proper manner results in a well proportioned fly.

Here is some suggested reading to get you on the right track. Copy and paste the links into your browser.

http://www.sexyloops.com/flytying/proportion.shtml

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/tying-flies-beautiful-flies/151957

Amen on SilverCreek's comments. 

Most beginner (and many experienced) fly tyers over-dress their flies (use too much material), especially when dubbing.  Planning ahead to the proportions already mentioned can be tricky at first, frequently leading to "crowding the head" (running out of sufficient space for the head). 

Also, bead size is important - going too big seems common.

Inches   mm Hook
  1/16 1.6 mm 18-22
  5/64 2.0 mm 16-20
  3/32 2.4 mm 16-18
  7/64 2.8 mm 14-16
  1/8 3.2 mm 12-14
  5/32 4.0 mm 10-12

Keep it up, and have fun! 

Regards,

Thanks for the advice, and confirming a few things where I thought I had gone wrong. Managed to have what I believe is now the correct hook, and tied another this morning. Under the wing case may have gotten a little fat, but I feel that overall it is a big improvement.

20240128_091337.jpg

20240128_091346.jpg

36 minutes ago, TKenneth said:

Thanks for the advice, and confirming a few things where I thought I had gone wrong. Managed to have what I believe is now the correct hook, and tied another this morning. Under the wing case may have gotten a little fat, but I feel that overall it is a big improvement.

More trout are caught on shiny multi colored things that look nothing like bugs. If your goal was to tie a traditional bead head hares ear then I can see where you believe you fell short of some standard. However, I see good things in both and a great start. 

Tying hint:  If you take a small piece of velcro (hook side), and glue it to the last inch of a popsicle stick, you'll have a perfectly usable dubbing brush (it just "roughs up" the look of the fly).  Just be gentle using it, or you can tear apart the fly . . .  

Regards, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh14VAHmE9k  

24 minutes ago, flyflinger said:

Tying hint:  If you take a small piece of velcro (hook side), and glue it to the last inch of a popsicle stick, you'll have a perfectly usable dubbing brush (it just "roughs up" the look of the fly).  Just be gentle using it, or you can tear apart the fly . . .  

Regards, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh14VAHmE9k  

I use a 22 caliber rifle cleaning brush.

You can buy a three pack for cheap and have one in a tying kit another in your fly fishing vest for roughing up nymphs on the stream.

OIP.jpg.bab9f4b329a5fb7b1e204d50e691288a.jpg

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/tipton-best-bore-brush-3-pack?

Ah, a true multi-tasker - I actually use those for cleaning 22 caliber gun barrels! . . . 🤪 

(I actually tried those years ago, although I think it was 30 cal brush, and found it too coarse/abrasive for my liking - to each his own!)   

Regards,

1 hour ago, flyflinger said:

I actually tried those years ago, although I think it was 30 cal brush, and found it too coarse/abrasive for my liking - to each his own!

I agree with you FF, too rough for my liking, and can ruin certain ribbings sometimes.  

Velcro on a tongue depressor (most often), Velcro on a wood coffee stirrer (for smaller flies), or a toothbrush with the bristles cropped close to the head (just started using this, saw it somewhere else recently,  can't remember where) is what I use.  

Or another good one is the cleaning brush from an old retired electric razor (depending on its shape) . . . small and effective.   

Regards,