Fly Tying
SalarMan

Edison Fly Fishing Show

i had considered going but its a 3 + hour to drive for me

i didnt even go to the marlboro location. its about an hour drive

Those shows got old for me. The longish drive wasn't worth it just to socialize a bit then drive home.

I tied at one symposium (2004 in Somerset) when I was between careers, met a lot of good people and found that tying at events wasn't for me. I did enjoy the shows on a one day basis as a social event for a long time but they have lost their luster for me the last few years. It was an expensive weekend as I remember.  

I went last year and skipped this year.  The number of fly tying suppliers at these shows seems to be way down as compared to previous years, when they were still at Somerset.  Very dissappointing.  At least let me offset some of my gas and tolls cost by allowing me to find all my supplies in one place.

23 hours ago, gadabout said:

The number of fly tying suppliers at these shows seems too be way down as compared to previous years, when they were still at Somerset.  Very dissappointing.  

I agree. I attend Marlborough every year and these days most of the vendors are trying to sell me a guided fly fishing vacation.  I don't want a guided fly fishing vacation and I really hate paying the $18.00 for a sales pitch.  There was a time not too long ago when materials and product vendors made up about half of the show.  What I miss is that those shops were often from other parts of the country and frequently stocked stuff I can't find at the local fly shops or box stores.  The internet is great but nothing beats being able to hold something in your hand before you buy.  

But the Marlborough show is right by my office and I still enjoy going.  That said I wouldn't drive out of my way for it, least not until there are more fly shops and less travel agents.