Fly Tying
Graham

Match the Hatch Challenge #9

Nice flies! Olb, what did you use for the body and wing?

The one in my avatar is tied on size 20 short shank, designed for hmm.. selective arctic charr ph34r.gif

Thanks Jussi, the body is lt. yellow thread colored. The wing is Mayfly Spent Wing Material, they will send you a free sample piece and if you want to buy some it's really cheap, you could probably get about a lifetime supply for about $10. The stuff floats great! I didn't need to order any though cause a couple days ago I was burning some boxes in the backyard and out of one of them fell a piece about 12"X60" yahoo.gif Exact same stuff yahoo.gif yahoo.gif

Hi, I´m back(if you ever noticed I was gone tongue.gif )

You might want to try these Midges pictures http://www.hi.is/~yannk/19.html

These pictures are from The Lake Mývatn("lake of midges" in Icelandic) her in Iceland

Just click on the picture to see more photos.

Laxi

And by the way, great tying.

QUOTE (OLB @ Sep 7 2005, 05:22 PM)
Thanks Jussi, the body is lt. yellow thread colored. The wing is Mayfly Spent Wing Material, they will send you a free sample piece and if you want to buy some it's really cheap, you could probably get about a lifetime supply for about $10. The stuff floats great! I didn't need to order any though cause a couple days ago I was burning some boxes in the backyard and out of one of them fell a piece about 12"X60" yahoo.gif Exact same stuff yahoo.gif yahoo.gif

The hyperlink to the website should have WWW instead of just WW (two W's) in the URL. Just for your information. Also, it is an interesting site.

Hi Guys,

Sorry I've been away so long. I have been checking in from time-to-time and the standard has gone through the roof!! So, I made a little time this week to throw my own contribution into the ring. But I ain't got any global bytes left to upload an image, or so it says.......anyone got any ideas?

OK Got it!

post-2589-1126957833_thumb.jpg

Hi Mayflyman, Your midge looks fantastic, excellent tying.

I did my first attempt last night, it's been a while since I had the midge jaws in my vise, even though I fish midges a lot in the mountains, but never tried tying a realistic before. The first thing I did wrong was deciding to experiment and used polar bear for the legs as well as wraped up the abdomen for segmentation. I found the hair hard to control and hard kink leg joints. I used a super fine piece of ostrich for the gills on the head and had one too many drinks while tying and cut off a leg while trimming the ostrich...lol..

I used a size 24 hook, will use the same size on the next attempt and will set the wings starting farther back on the thorax on my next try.

Graham

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I got the body, legs and the antenna tied on last night. I was about to bend the legs when mom made me go to bed. I think next time i'll tie the wings in while im still working on the body after i have the legs tied in. I think it will turn out fair. I'll let you guys know when its done.

Seth,