Fly Tying
LisaLou

Length of wire dubbing brushes

I have made some dubbing brushes using a macrame board as a dubbing table using thread, flymph style.  I am thinking I would like to make a proper dubbing brush setup, with rotating hooks on each end, or maybe the ability to attach a dremel to make a power spinner.  I just discovered composite brushes and they look like a lot of fun the make.
I saw plenty of comments that people did not like certain manufactured tables because they wished they could make a longer brush.   I’ve seen commercially made brushes that are 12” long.  I am wondering if there is a limit to how long a brush you can efficiently make, before materials don’t lock into the wire properly.
 My desk is an old metal typing desk on wheels, with a fold down wing extension on each side.  It’s about 20” wide.  With the wings up, I could support a set up around 40”.  I’d lose a few inches to the mechanics of the spinner hooks on each end, but in theory I could make one long brush.  I could load it with different materials and cut it to make many small ones.  I should add I’m not actually making a base.  I will use my rotating vise at one end and probably another cheapo vise at the other with a swivel to allow spin, so I can clamp them on my desk at whatever length I need them.  

I’m hoping someone has already pushed the limits of how long a wire dubbing brush can be made before it just doesn’t work.  If someone has a good source for stainless 34 gauge wire, I would appreciate that too.  I’m in Michigan for shipping, no fishing superstores near me.  

I also want to make some Pike and Muskie lures which are tied on coils, like springs.  I was wondering if I should use a heavier wire for toothy big fish, or if 34 gauge will hold up for that application.  
I wonder if anyone would do a dubbing brush swap, instead of flies?  I think that would be fun to swap brushes then make a fly with what you end up with.  There would be a couple weeks between making the brushes, and then making a fly from each brush you receive from your swapmates, so there would not be too much pressure.  Just a thought.

thanks for any info, LisaLou

Lots of videos out there. Master Wire Supply on Amazon is popular for brush makers looking for inexpensive 50’ or 550’ spools of stainless wire.  I suggest you look on oasis benches.com and his video on  dubbing table to get ideas and pit falls to avoid if you are making your own.   The oasis bench can spin from both sides and keeps the  fibers (hair, flash, synthetics) under just enough tension to hold the material at right angle while you comb out with dog/pet brush.  I don’t see the reasoning or advantage for a 40” brush, especially with a wire core.  I’m probably missing your intent.  

i couldn't figure out the reason for a 40 inch brush.

you'd never be able to spin it into a brush

stick to 12-15 inches

LL,

All the brushes I buy for muskies are 12”.  When I make lures I put Flashabou on the coils and the coil has the wire inserted into it. Typically.040 or .051. The brushes have wire that is consistent with bass brushes, so I think 36 gauge would be fine. I typically wrap my brushes around my fly hooks. 5/0 - 6/0 for muskies and 2/0 - 3/0 for northerns. 
Tom

I had a tool for making brushes but donated it to TU.  When I was making brushes, I used fine copper wire.  I was given a quarter pound of  this very fine wire and I'd spin the brush until the wire broke. I doubt the X Small wire you get for fly tying is as fine as this, but I use it for dry flies that need a bit of strength.  It's too fine for creating segments on the fly's body.

In this video, he makes three different brushes at the same time.  It seems like a good idea to me.  So the general consensus is 12” is normal and 18” probably the upper limit for getting a successful brush.  It would be nice to make three 6” brushes at the same time, using the same materials distributed differently.  I take full time care of my beloved 95 year old mother who is in a wheelchair and housebound, especially in wintertime.  I am essentially housebound, too.  My time is cut up into many short chunks 24/7, including my sleep.  It seems like about the time I set up to do something, I have some other task to deal with and often times lose my momentum and creativity.  Setting up and making several at the same time is very appealing.  I’m also one of those people who really enjoy the process of prepping materials.  I enjoy folding feathers for example, and really like picking out the materials to make thread dubbing brushes.  

I have watched many videos of dubbing brush tables and diy tables.  I do not have room to store a proper table right now.  There was an oasis tying station on auction that I coveted, very nice products.  The lack of storage for a brush maker table is why I’m thinking of clamps on my desk.  My personal space for hobbies is limited to my bedroom using my rolling typing desk for everything.  Or lap projects while in other parts of the house.  I (try to) tie in hand a lot while keeping my mom company, but rarely can ever finish anything.  AMaking some brushes when I can’t sleep and have a hour to myself, then using them to tie tubes in hand while I keep her company is kind of my goal.  Maybe not a realistic goal. But it sounds good in my head.  My eyes are too shot by night for tying, but I could do some brushes.  I could have less materials to keep untangled and maybe finish something during the day.  With all the medical equipment, I don’t have room for a tying desk in my mom’s room.  That is what would be idea.  I could tie while she reads or puts together children’s wooden puzzles as hand therapy.  Not to mention she is interested in the process.

thanks for all the input, LL

I have been using 28 gauge wore for my brushes for the past few years. IU get to wrap tighter with this with very little weight difference.

The craft fur brushes in the video are probably for pike, as he has other videos making like pike lures.
I did not really think it was possible to make a 40” brush, that’s why I asked what was the longest viable brush length.  I was simply stating the size of the work space I have for supplies and the brush table.

thanks for all the help and comments.  I will order a couple different gauges of wire to try.  I sure wish I did not have to wait a week or more for everything to get to me.  All I can find locally is craft jewelry wire which will surely rust.  I probably have super fine copper wire somewhere if I can find it.  Though It might just be copper colored jewelry wire with my luck.

thank you all, LL 

Looking into this myself.  Believe you can go longer than the 'normal' 12" - 15" BUT would need to change design somewhat.  LisaLou mentioned rotating hooks on BOTH ends which I believe to be key but no swivels can be used.

1. Rotate from BOTH ends to keep twist rate more uniform along brush.{Believe Gunnar Brammer does this}  Rotation need of course be in opposing directions.
  2. An option would be to fix one end and have the other on embedded T-Track to adjust working length.
  3. Use 2 or more drop-down sections to allow for making different length brushes.
  4. Spring should still be necessary on only one end but definitely needs longer 'travel' than those built for shorter brush.
  • Believe opposing twist rates would allow much longer brushes when wanted keeping twist rate closer along brush length. 
  • T-Track would allow brush length adjustment for different types from light trout to massive musky/saltwater sizes. 
  • Drop table(s) made of multiple sections to allow making shorter brushes when wanted/necessary - a 12" & 18" allowing 12"/18"/30" a suggestion.
  • The longer spring travel may also need to be stronger.
  • For those who find them clumsy to work with longer brush can be cut to whatever length you desire once twisted.
  •