Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pbass

Vise Grease options?

HI everyone!  Im sure no one remembers but 4 years ago a few of you guys helped me pick my new vise. I ended up with a Dyna King Professional. Great vise. So thank you all again!  When I got it I cleaned all of the marine grease off it and applied petroleum jelly (vaseline). It works but it basically turns into a dark grey/black  goo that leaks out and gets all over stuff. Im wondering what you folks use for your vises? 

Im looking for something nontoxic as my kids use the vises too. 

Any thoughts?

Thank you 

@chugbug27

I had not thought about wax at all. Thank you! 

I’ve never put a drop of oil or grease or any kind of lubricant on any of my vises and they are all 20 to 40 years old. Never had to. Grease and oil collect dust and dirt that jam and gum things up. If you’re tying inside your house there really is no need to add grease to anything. If you do, it will collect dirt and you will have to clean it more. Perhaps a dry lube to protect the finish but I’ve never found that necessary either since my vises are used and  stored in a climate controlled house.  

6 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I’ve never put a drop of oil or grease or any kind of lubricant on any of my vises

I love that idea. I was just concerned because it is a forced cone. I thought it might bind up. I think I will disassemble it and clean everything off. 

Thank you 

If it binds, which I don’t think it will, WD40 makes a dry lube. Wiping it with a silicone gun cleaning cloth will put a very small and subtle amount of silicone lube on the vise without it being wet and oozing and will protect the finish if your worried about rust.  Vaseline and marine grease would be a big no for me. I own a regal medallion, a griffin in line rotary and a Pettijean flymaster? All three work and look great and they have never seen oil or grease. I’m sure I’ve wiped them down with a silicon gun cloth but I can’t remember when. 

After 20+ years of use and never using any lubricant whatsoever, my Regal began squeaking a little when opening the jaws.  A quick shot of WD-40 and it's now been quiet for a couple years.    

ive tied on a renzetti traveler since 1988 and never had a reason to take it apart for cleaning or greasing/oiling

I think the difference re why they recommend marine grease on the dyna king jaw is because of the push collet design. 

image.png.c588e59f89c1fdddd00427f6283a5863.png

The steel jaw squeezes together by being pushed through a restricted diameter collet. Much more friction and resistance without grease than the Renzetti and the Regal, is my 2c. Renzetti levers two jaw plates together, Regal also has two jaw plates, which pivot on a spring. DK"s jaw is one piece that gets bent by force of rubbing through the restricted collet.

image.png.769c7d4ec633ca6a8bc21abfb20edc16.png

The back, steep angle of the jaw face is what rubs through the collet to close the tips of the jaw together

I was unfamiliar with the collet style vise. Very nice explanation Chug. If necessary,  I would go with silicone gun cloth as it leaves only a super thin hardly noticeable film that will not collect funk. 

21 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

dry lube.

I might have to try that or the silicone. 

5 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

push collet design.

Thanks! That was a great explanation. I don't want it to get stuck closed or damage anything. There is a lot of pressure on those jaws.

8 hours ago, flytire said:

renzetti traveler

That's what I actually use most of the time right now. Great simple tool for the job.  I have had it for 15 years and it works well. But I really want a Renzetti Master Vise! 

21 hours ago, robow7 said:

Regal

Those are great vises. That's the first vise I ever used. It was the "house" vise at a local fly shop. 

DK Pro user here. I grease the collet threads lightly and the shaft of the jaws.. I don't think that does anything but what the hey. Lithium grease for me. a little dab'l do ya.

On 3/15/2024 at 12:21 PM, Sandan said:

DK Pro user here

Hey Sandan!  Thanks for the tip! I was surly over greasing it in the past🙁.