Fly Tying
down2earthlv

Everyone's First Flys!?

Beginner's first fly?  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I honestly cant remember. I had a kit which i messed around with, then i took a class and did the basics. Zug bug, pheasant tail, gnat, b n dace, mickey fin. But honestly i can not remember what was first. I know i loved streamers and tied hundreds which i lost and gave to friends. Still have a big box of things i tied back then.

First one was a really bad wooly bugger. Yesterday. Its in the car though! This is my first one Ive done using naught but my imagination. Its nothing special, but its simple and cute. I wonder if it would work at all.

Weighted Peacock Herl with a Spade Hackle. Ridiculous? Yes! Effective? Oh god probably not.

post-36138-0-82837200-1321683370_thumb.jpg

I haven't even attempted to tie a single fly yet. Matter of fact I don't even own the first piece of equipment used for doing the tying. I have been doing the research on the tools used and how to use them. Talked with different folks on how they tie or what they use. I have read for the last couple of months and watched videos on Youtube. I have placed an order for the Dr. Slick tool set that is sold at different places. I also have bid on a Thompson vise I found on eBay, hoping I win it, but will continue to search.

I have read alot of the post here on this forum, and have found it alot to my liking. Ya'll seem like a nice bunch of folks on here. So whenever I get all my material and equipment together, take a deep breath with reference material close by, I will promise to document my first fly tied here on this forum. The wait is killing me, but I have to have patience.

Here are some photos of the first flies I have attempted so far. Please feel free to let me know how I can improve in any way.

DSC01558.jpg

DSC01557.jpg

DSC01556.jpg

Leadfly and novabass,

Great starts both of you. First Leadfly, your second fly, has the best head. In general, try to keep your heads the same size as the hook eye. Its also a good idea to have a wrap of your body material behind the first wrap of hackle. That will keep your hackle from slipping off the bend, and help to protect it from being cut by the fish's teeth a little longer.

Novabass, your fly looks pretty good from that angle. It would be good to see a full profile, and a solid background will show off the fly better. From what I see, I have to agree with NJ, go catch some fish.

Leadfly and novabass,

Great starts both of you. First Leadfly, your second fly, has the best head. In general, try to keep your heads the same size as the hook eye. Its also a good idea to have a wrap of your body material behind the first wrap of hackle. That will keep your hackle from slipping off the bend, and help to protect it from being cut by the fish's teeth a little longer.

Thanks for the help and I hope to get a little better as time goes on.