Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hexfli

Surf Swap!!!

I wonder if these might be to heavy and if I need to start over?

These are tied with a med. size lead painted eye and about 12 wraps of lead.

The completed fly I think runs about 1/4 - 1/3 ounce.

Is the lead wrap overdoing it?

I would rather start over if they seem to fall in the catagory of anchor.

post-3271-1135220511_thumb.jpg

I will start off this is my first swap be gentle with me :rolleyes: . Should i work with a large hook like a 2 or is it up to me ?

No size restrictions on hooks. I would say anything from a 6 - 1/0 would be awesome!

Fry Flier:

Those things might be classified as lethal weapons in some states. Thats a hunk of lead! :blink:

They are on the heavy side, but its completly up to you if you want to start over. Thats the fun of a swap you get to experiment and get others to try your handywork.

I think I will take them out to the river tomorrow and see how they work, happy with the pattern but the wieght has me concerned. Nothing short of a 10-11 wieght rod may be needed.

Here's my Two Cents on the weight of those-

Whatever works.

If someone used those in the busting 3'-6' and sometimes larger breakers that get going around here on either side of a blow, on a fast sinking line, sure you'd need a minimum 9 stick but everything would have a better chance getting out over the breakers, holding bottom better and maybe even transmit touch better. Maybe you'd alter the weight depending on hook size and conditions found but I'd leave those heavyweights just as they are and create a group or groups of sizes, lengths and weights for different conditions, including bead chain eyes only.