Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Anyone know where I can find a chart?

I decided I want to pre sort all my dry fly hackle by size. I can't see spending the $10 that my local fly shop wants for a hackle guage so I figured I could just make my own. Does anyone know where I can find a chart that will tell show what the right length in millimeters diferent hook sizes are, I'll probably base it off 94840's?

Why do you need one of those?

When you bend your hackle around the hook, the fibres should have the same length as the hookgap. No rules without exceptions, but thats a good rule of thumb.

J.Stockard sells one for $ 1.75

Or you can make one with 2 pieces of wood and a finish nail. one for a base and the other as a vertical stand. measure up from the nail

Hook size.............................................Distance from nail in inches

1........................................................1 1/2

2........................................................1 1/8

4........................................................15/16

6........................................................27/32

8........................................................3/4

10......................................................21/32

12......................................................9/16

14......................................................15/32

16.......................................................3/8

18.......................................................9/32

20.......................................................3/16

Any smaller I do not have. Sorry no metric

I bought a hackle gauge a few years back for about $2 and found that it helped to get me going. Once I have a fly or two done I can usually eyeball the feathers.

I just hate the time wasted searching for the right size feather in a neck. I figure this way If I need a coupel for a size 12 I can just grab a couple of what color I need and already know they're the right size for the fly

hey OLB,

I have presized all of my genetic saddle hackle. I have each size and color in its own standard letter envelope. I dont know if I would consider doing this with a neck, as there is a very large distribution or sizes and shapes on a neck, whereas on a saddle, there are very long consistent feathers in a range of sizes between 12 and 20. with most being 14-16.

oh, and it does speed up tying, and I feel more confident in the hackle I have chosen. I used a cheapo hackle guage that slides on the shaft of my vise.

Joe

OLB,

I picked up one of those cheap guages similar to Swinks talks about; I think it's a Griffin (worth every cent). I have just about plucked all of my necks (at least the hackle in the #10 to #24 range). I use the guage which is fast, pack them in snack size (half size) baggies that have a velcro square on each one.

I have a lazy susan rack that holds about 130 baggies, all attached with velcro. Every bag is labeled and it makes tying soooooo....... muchhhhhh........ easier. I pluck and sort while watching TV for tying later

Sorry that the picture is so fuzzy. Conehead

IPB Image

MMMmmmm 200 for a vise, 300- 1000 for materials, 100 for tools, 100 for tying books, 100 for hooks double all that because now the wifes wants to spend the same amount on shoes as you do on your flytying stuff, And your looking to save 2-10 bucks on a hackle gage? :blink:

MMMmmmm 200 for a vise, 300- 1000 for materials, 100 for tools, 100 for tying books, 100 for hooks double all that because now the wifes wants to spend the same amount on shoes as you do on your flytying stuff, And your looking to save 2-10 bucks on a hackle gage?

Why would I pay $10 for a sticker attatched to a piece of plastic that I found online(thanks Crotalus), printed it out myself, as many as I need, FOR FREE. Nah, I waste my money on alot of stuff but not that particular item. $2-$3 maybe, but not $10

Didn't whiting put a hackle gauge on the cardboard liner in their hackle that you can cut out and glue to whatever. I know I've seen them on the back before.

Fatman

MMMmmmm 200 for a vise, 300- 1000 for materials, 100 for tools, 100 for tying books, 100 for hooks double all that because now the wifes wants to spend the same amount on shoes as you do on your flytying stuff, And your looking to save 2-10 bucks on a hackle gage?

Why would I pay $10 for a sticker attatched to a piece of plastic that I found online(thanks Crotalus), printed it out myself, as many as I need, FOR FREE. Nah, I waste my money on alot of stuff but not that particular item. $2-$3 maybe, but not $10

Got a link for this treasured item? Im sure there are alot of people that would love to download and print off the same thing.