Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishigan

I'm gonna do it!!!

I have absolutly had it with this junk danvise, a few moments ago it cracked. I was trying to get the entire head unit to stop moving on me. The shaft flexes the hooks slip! :ripped:

I know some folks have these vises and love them. Especially the ones that purchased them back when they first came out. But some where along the lines the quality control has gone to the way side. My vise was a mere 2 years old and I have had issues with it for the past 10 months. That is how long I have been dealing with the head unit moving back and forth during tying. I have talked to a couple of others that have that same issue.

I am soon to be the proud owner of a bouncing baby HMH. The only thing I have to decide on now is "should I get just the Standard with the larger jaws or the pro kit with 2 sets of jaws and the other stuff?"

Either way, by this time next week I'll be tying on an HMH.

I'll also be able to run faster and jump higher cause I'm getting new shoes too. :)

I should have posted this as a question, for those that have the HMH Standard or the Spartan, is there much difference in the two? I know the Spartan comes with a smaller base and the housing looks a little different but they are basically the same vise right? I like the Standard kit and but did not see one for the Spartan. For now, and a good while, I am tying 1.5 to 3/0 sizes with asperations to go to 6/0. But I'll need to do some stuff in 12 to 8 for the spring so I think I'll need two sets of jaws. Any input?

I'm not familiar with HMH products, so I can't answer your specific questions about them.

I am familiar with Dyna-King. I have a D-K Barracuda, and with its standard jaws I can tie anything from #22 to 10/0. Adjusting the collet for different hook sizes took a little bit of getting used to, primarily because I was used to tying with a Regal that never required adjustment. But for sheer range of capability, the Dyna-King is hard to beat.

John

I have two words for you. . .

Dyna-King

There is a reason they use the word "King" in their name. I know it cost big $$$, but it will be the only vise you will ever have to buy. (After all, you already spent more than half the cost of a Dyna-King).

Conehead

It is hard to pick a good vice in that price rang that does not let a hook slip. I tied on the HMH for 2 weeks before I could not stand it any more, Just could not get it to hold a hook solid,The Dynaking had a goofy pop to it when I clamped down, the renzetti Aprentise worked for 1 week then the jaw busted,replaced it and the new one broke after 5 months. now I am back to tying on my 10 year old model non rotary renzetti. Maybe I will try the Griffen next.

Sorry to here you had a problem with your dan vice, After retailing them for years I have seen no problems or complants with that vice. I do not like to tie on rotary or I would give it a try myself.

Only two words to say............DYNA KING......................and I have the Professional and have never tied with a better vise and I have gone through about 8 vices in my tying lifetime.

I also have an HMV as a standby and it was the vise I used for many years before I trested myself to the Dyna King........................ :yahoo: and trust me the cost is far higher in the UK for this vise... :crying:

Mike B)

Fred,

I have the HMH Pro model that is currently my travel vise. About a year ago I switched to the Nor-Vise on my bench and I think I made a mistake. I'm convinced that the HMH is a far more flexible tool than the Norlander could ever be. Spend the extra bucks and get the Pro upgrade, with the two sets of jaws you'll be able to tie from size 16 up to 8/0.

Nor Vise, Dyna King, Nor Vise, Dyna King. Use Dyna King, Hang my coat on my Nor Vise. I just purchased the Dyna King Barracuda, and have already been more productive in one weeks time with this vise then I have in 3 years with a Nor Vise. Nor Vise makes for a good coat hanger.

Does any one have the Dyna King Tube 2000, or has tied on it for tying tube flies? I think that will be my next purchase.

Nicholas

Hey fred check out fgander on westnedge they have a spartan sitting near the computer by the reels get with will or serge see if they will give you a deal!! it has been there for ever!!!!

I'll check that out Matt.

As for the Dyna Kings.....I'm sure they are a great vise, I never heard anything bad about them, I have also not heard anything bad about the HMH.

I have read and re-read lots of info on the vises. It seems that Dyna King is probably the best rotary vise on the market today.

I do not want to spend the extra 100-150 bucks though. I have found a great deal on the HMH.

Let me know what you think on the HMH. I'm looking at getting a standard vise over the next year or so and the HMH looks about right. The Dyna's are nice but I almost never use rotary on any of my flies. I did check out the king fisher as well but I like the looks of the HMH better.

Well, I picked up the HMH a few moments ago. Thanks for the tip Matt.

I was going to go with the Pro Standard model but....they gave me such a gtreat deal on the Spartan i couldn't pass it up. I think it is the slightly older version. They changed them for 2001 and the spartan today, takes the same jaws as the standard etc..etc..

Anyway, for 65bucks I had to take it.