Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Hatches Magazine: Crocheted Crawdad

Well, here's my second attempt. Did a little substituting on a few small items, but that's the joy of tying. I'm having trouble getting a clean looking back - lot's of stubble from trimming the hackle. Any suggestions? This is actually on a size 12 simply because that's all I could find in town. Because of the added size, I didn't split the weaving thread, but tied with all six strands. It's a great pattern, will make a great grattitude gift for other tiers I know that help me out as I learn.

post-3964-1141273030_thumb.jpg

I cant wait to get one er two!!! from the swap!!! I want to have one in hand befor I give it a try!!! nice work !!!

Nice job Deeky, they only get better from there. That is a good looking job for the second try. My first 100 or so looked like chitola! It really gets easier and easier as you do more.

Duckydoty

Wow :bugeyes: that is an amazing fly. But what is really impressive is the step by step. Thanks for sharing something that you took so much time perfecting. Very generous. Can't wait to give it a try (though I will wait untill I have a substantial amount of time to work on it :huh: ) Nice work!

Thanks flyfishingwright

I think it is great that people are are showing interest and wanting to tie this pattern. I was afraid that the only way I could really share the pattern would be to show someone how to do it in person. Hatches was perfect for sharing it because the tutorial is too long to post as a pattern submission and it takes way too long to email to individuals.

Duckydoty

I received this fly in an FTF smallmouth bass fly swap. I just want to give everyone some idea of the seduction power of this fly for smallmouth bass. I caught two dozen plus smallies in one outing and this fly showed NO sign of coming apart. This is no doubt to to the crocheted construction of the body wraps. I'm convinced they can't ignore this fly if you present it correctly. In a slow current and fished slowly over the bottom a crayfish eating smallie will not pass it up!

Unforunately I lost my fly at the end of that great afternoon not to a frayed tippet but because I had loosened up the clinch knot! This happened because the hook that's used is fantastic. It is alway buried in the corner of the jaw and it just doesn't want to come out! So always re-tie after your first twenty fish :P

I've looked over the tying steps and it will probably take a few tries but it will be worth it. I just have to get the crocheting hook, then just tie a few and I'll be set for a while. This fly is worth the effort for any smallmouth or largemouth bass fly tyer.

IPB Image

Ducky,

Thank you for the tutorial. I cant wait to get home any tie some of these up. Our fly fishing club has a float trip coming up on Saturday and I want to try this one out. I'll post some pictures of the bug when I'm done.

Thanks again,

John

Jcpilot,

Wow this has come up from a long time ago. Hope the fly works well for you. I have not tied these in over a year but need to tie up some more of them. My wife loves fishing for smallies and it would be great for her to catch some on the crochetted crawdad.

Thanks for posting!

Jcpilot,

Wow this has come up from a long time ago. Hope the fly works well for you. I have not tied these in over a year but need to tie up some more of them. My wife loves fishing for smallies and it would be great for her to catch some on the crochetted crawdad.

Thanks for posting!

I'm glad it did get bumped otherwise I probably wouldn't have seen it. Awesome pattern and tutorial. Can't wait to try to tie a few.