Fly Tying
polock

Pistol owers please read

I am looking into purchasing a pistol other than a revolver or .22 right now i have 2 .22 revolvers, and a .357 revolver, and a ruger .22 mark II

I am looking for either a 9mm or .40 or something along the larger cal range. Looking for a semi auto.

I really like the feel of the smith and wesson sw9ve. anyone shot one of these

also like the tarus p24's

both are two toned good lookin guns..

let me know what you guys think.

looking to spend around 300 or a lil more

Good luck finding a new 40cal for 300 bucks check out a glock or a sig saur Sigs are my fav. awsome gun and durable.

For $300 its not going to be easy to find a brand new larger cal. handgun.

About $100 more will get you a Taurus Millinium pro model 111BP. Its a med frame semi auto 9mm 12 round mag and runs about $395

Most of the larger frame handguns are going to start up around $500

Something like the Taurus 24/7 45bp which is a 45 cal large frame 12 round clip in blue I believe runs about $475.

Best bet would be to find a local gun dealer that is lisenced to sell firearms but sells out of his "home shop" (i.e basment) I use to buy from the big chain stores years ago but then found a local guy that sold out of his house (he was lisenced to sell) and he would alays have prices that were $100 less than the big gun shops in town. Plus you might find a nice used one for a super deal that way.

Check out the Springfield XD series. My dad has the 9mm and it's a good gun. I think it's in the $400-$500 range. Only had a few jam-ups and that was with UMC ammo. Everything else has gone through clean. Springfield Armory

Also do what SD mentions and look for a slighty used one. We picked up a Ruger Single Six .22 for $150. Only had a tiny chip in the finish where the clyinder is removed. Not bad though since we use it as a hunting gun.

ok maybe my question wasn't understood right.... i can get a smith and wesson 9mm or .40 VE for 290 brand new

a taurus P24 9mm for 330 brand new... the pawn shop in our town will order guns at his cost and just charge for shipping so i am gettin at direct dealer cost.

my main question is what everyone likes better a 9mm or .40cal

Brand name 9mm ammo is very inexpensive & available just about anywhere. So is ammo cost important to you? BTW, I bought a Ruger P95 off AuctionArms .com. very happy with it. Good deal & great inspection/return policy.

ok maybe my question wasn't understood right.... i can get a smith and wesson 9mm or .40 VE for 290 brand new

a taurus P24 9mm for 330 brand new... the pawn shop in our town will order guns at his cost and just charge for shipping so i am gettin at direct dealer cost.

my main question is what everyone likes better a 9mm or .40cal

86 the S&W idea and get the Taurus because comparingly so, Taurus is a much better manufactured arm than the S&W.....Especially in that model! I could go into great detial but it would take quite some time on the unreliability of the 40VE and the SW9VE over the Taurus .The Taurus PT 24/7 i have tested (friend let me "test" it :D) it as violent and harsh as my Glock, and coming from a hardcore Glock guy (me) the Taurus is everything people and the NRA says, plus even being the NRA gun of the year, that is for a reason.

I however shoot Glock, and in a 40 caliber. Even seeing how yes, modern bullet configurations prove that the 9mm is very effective, i still like the 40 cal better because i can handle it very easily and for every day carry, and or target, it's very managable with the added bullet diameter (one might say big deal 1mm difference but you still have a harder hitting, heavier bullet ;) ). Cost effectively though, 9mm is quit a bit cheaper ;) So between the 9mm and the 40 cal that will solely be on you and by test shooting (if you can) the different calibers will mostly make up your mind.

Although, some men of a smaller stature find the 40 cal to be "stiffer" and "crack" as to where a 9mm is a bit more subtle in recoil. But again for me, again, i don't have one problem with them (40 cal) at all.

I do hope this helps and if you have any other questions needing answers outside of topic, please feel free to PM me and i will help you as best as i can.

:headbang:

DUDE.... AlG THATS WHAT I AM TALKIN ABOUT!!!! thanks for the great info... i have always been a huge rifle guy but am starting to really enjoy pistols. but i don't have much knoweledge in them and that post is what i needed to make up my mind. i am going to go with the taurus p24/7

I'll have to venture forth and suggest one fine piece of heat... I have a Glock 23C, .40 cal with a built in compensator. In the past I have owned a High Point 9mm and liked it alright, it served it's purpose, but comparing it to a Glock... well there isn't much to compare. I know the Glocks are on the pricey side, but I found mine for $500, $470 without the compensator, and even less for the 9mm. Because I spend so much time on the water, both fresh and salt, and in the woods, the durability and reliability of a Glock is what motivated me to finally get the gun I long coveted.

You can make your own choice on which gun you go with, but the durability in harsh environments of a Glock is hard to argue with. One thing about the built in compensator, it drasticly reduces recoil to the point of slightly less than a non compensated 9mm. It might mean the difference for someone wanting the power of a 40 and the kick of a 9. Just a suggestion. If you go with that Taurus, I hope you like it!

Depends are you looking for home defense if so the biggest gun you can shoot accurately is the answer. If your looking to just shoot and have a good time get the 9 its more enjoyable easier and cheaper to shoot. Home defense, the 40 will stop a man in his tracks more so than a 9 that will likely piss him off if your not accurate. Stay away from cheap, Ive shot bot sigs and glocks and it the same comparison as chevy and caddies, both will get you down the road for years but 1 is the "delux" model. The sig has almost 8-10X the the parts as the glock that being said the glock is a simple gun that has very little in the way of problem areas. Ive shot both a great deal and have trusted my life with both.

Like Trav I also carry a Glock 23C in .40S&W and love it. Very versatile and great knockdown power. I have never liked the 9mm, not enough punch if you have a problem. Remember, when in doubt, empty the magazine.

OOOORAH!

I was turned on to a G23 when they first came out 16 years ago from a detictive friend of mine, then five years later a G27, and ever since then it has taken over my G22 which has been sold (stupid me :( )

Although, and while agreeing about the 9mm.....there are soo many modern bullets today that the success rate for a "well placed" shot will do the job very adequately. Many people carry 38 Special revolvers, which a 9mm far surpasses ballistics created in that sence. Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger, Hornady TAP, Remington Golden Saber, Aguila IQ, Double Tap "Gold Dot", and Federal Hydra-shok are top in their proverbial game which i depend on myself.

I did not list Cor Bon because i am biased against them. Their ammo with inflated numbers and harsh unnessary recoil proved to be an unpredictable round and with control issues. While some people swear and do very well by them, it's with many times over, me and a few of my friends, that lead me to have a negative opinion (especially with the 500 S&W magnum). If you have great success, take it for what it's worth B)

Lastly, while yes i still preferre 357, 40, or 45GAP as a main defense weapon....The 9mm is more than adequate enough however, it would be the lowest amount of caliber i would suggest to anybody that would use it in a defensive purpose. Plus if you target shoot, it's very cheap to shoot compared to some of the bigger bores so your fun lasts longer ;)