Fly Tying
topwater

Hello From Ely Minnesota

greeting from Ely. Just joined the forum and wanted to say hi and thanks for a great foum. I live in Ely, MN and own and operate a resort, outfitting co, and guide service that offers guided fishing and fly fishing trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. We have some increadable smallmouth bass and pike fishing which area a blast to catch on the fly :D

Welcome to the forum, and I can vouch or the fishing...spent a couple of trips portaging around your neck o the woods...

Welcome aboard.......my son's Boy Scout Troop is talking about coming your way next Summer......hopefully with me in tow.

Welcome. It's been a long time since I was in Ely...1967 I think (and I'd just finished 8th grade), but I still have fond memories of the place. I still have relatives in Minnesota, but they are all in the Minneapolis area now. these days I'm in a warmer spot...Lake Charles, Louisiana

Mark Delaney

Hey!

I was in Ely last summer on the 4th of July. Pretty much a drive by though. Only stop was the store to pick up a six pack of Lighthouse Beer in plastic bottles. The girl at the counter carded me. When I laughed she asked me if there was a problem. Seeing the drinking age is 19 back home that never happens. I was on my way to Prairie Portage for a 8 day trip in Quetico. Maybe we used your water taxi to get to the MNR Station in Portage.

Great country you have up there. I went days without seeing anyone. And when we did see people they were mostly Boy Scouts with their guide from Ely. Some of the lakes I was on there was a fish every cast. Amazing! Already planning my next trip.

My brother is a Conservation Officer in Atikokan and we were on patrol for the 8 days. Glad we saw so few people as we had lots of time to fish and little work to do!

Take care,

Slacker

Hey topwater,

I figured I'd see a few Minnesotans on here with me. I recently signed on myself.

I'm from near Princeton, MN.

Been to Ely a few times, the longest was starting a canoe trip from near there into the BWCA and Quetico.

It was awesome, like always.

Have a great weekend,

--cutthroat.trout

Hey, my friend goes to your resort every summer and fishes the boundary waters. Do you know him? His name is Tyler Lewis, and he usually comes with his brother and grandpa.

hey cutthroat.trout nice to see some Minnesotans and if your ever in the area stop by for some fly fishing. flyfishpj, I will have to check the books...when do they usually come and what name do they book under?

Hey Topwater,

I am heading up to Knife Lake a week from today. I will be on Knife from May 6-13th. I am taking an 8wt, with an intermediate sinking line, floating line, and tons of BIG pike/bass flies. I also will have a spinning rod along for some panfish action. Any tips on how to target big northerns and bass this early in the season. My plan is to shoot for south facing bays and creek mouths. I know the northerns will have or are still spawning. Bass might be a bit sluggish yet, so I thought some slow softshell crayfish imitations would do the trick. Let me know what you think. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Woodman

Welcome Topwater,

It's good to see a minnisotan here. My mom's family are from near you in Grand Marais. I have a cousin that worked for Wilderness Waters Outfitters years ago. :cheers:

FH

Woodman

I am jealous. From what you have described it sounds like you are set for some great action. I would bet the pike will have spawned and the smallies will be staged to spawn. With cool water temps the pike should be active in the shallows and the bass will be just off the drops in 10-20 feet of water. Let me know how you make out and welcome aboard.

Finhunter, thanks for the welcome.