Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Iowa FLy FIsher

Your favorite Trout Fly

As much as I like to fish dry flies, if I had to pick one fly to fish in N.E. Iowa, it would be a pheasant tail nymph.

My favorite trout fly is a size 12 or 14 Beadhead Magic Bugger- No color combo surpasses black day in and day out though olive or brown will also make a great showing and in late fall a hint of orange seems to please the trout. The Magic has a peacock herl body and a long tail-the length of a standard 6-0r 8 bugger but tied sparse with a small clump of stripped marabou fibers. It is not just the ultimate trout fly for still waters-it is the ultimate freshwater fly-Trout , bass, walleye, sunfish, crappie, catfish-it catches them all-generally speaking it will outfish live bait for everything but the catfish.

For dry I would have to say #16 Adams Irresitible is perfect for faster moving streams like the upper Skagit. And for wet I'd have to say a bead head Copper John. I havn't caought any browns or brook trout but these flies have served me very well for rainbows and cutthroats.

Bead Head

i forgot to include in the last post...

a elk hair caddis for a dry. catches more fish throughout the season than the specific hatch matching flies

There are so many to choose from, #16 wild thang emerger, white woolly bugger, and last a Rick'smite #12. All of these patterns have done well for me anywhere I've fished in Iowa.

just for myself i would have to say a chicago fly,elk hair caddis, and an olive w/flash wooly bugger. all of these ive used to catch fish on the elk and cranberry.

For Summer Rocky Mountain River / Creek Trout, got to go with the Hopper / Dropper.

But I like a big, longer than normal Yellow Humpy with lots of Elk Hair for the Hopper. Instead of a tail I have legs put out both sides made from the Elk Hair. I call it different things but lately been calling it my "Yellow Humper". Going to have some tied on an inverted hook for this summer to see how that goes.

The Dropper is usually a larger size flash back red Copper John.

And I catch my bigger fish on the "Humper" usually. Browns and Brookies and Cutthroats tear it up but the Rainbows seem to like the dropper more.

In order of preference:

Still Water, Dry - Adams Irresitible or Black Humpy

Wet - Chromie Chronomid, Olive Woolie, Gomphus, Black Believer, Dragon Fly Nymph

Stream or River, Dry - Adams Irresitible

Wet - Tan Stonefly, Copper John, Grizzly Leech

These are the flys that have consistantly produced results for me in a variety of trout waters but if there is a hatch on or if the trout are hitting on something else, I'll change to match.