Fly Tying
flycaster1

Tippets for large northern pike

Soon I'll be casting to 42+" northern pike up in NE Manitoba. This will be my third year and previously I've used knotable wire without much problem. Ocassionally krinking up was the biggest problem encountered. I'd like to use something like braided line or hard mono, but don't know how well they would work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

They have something at our Orvis store that I didn't pay very much attention to... special tippet stuff for toothy critters. Was 6 to 8 inches long, and dark in color.

I use 25 or 30 lb Mason hard mono.

I am looking into the new wire leaders that have come out this year and may give them a shot though. Some of them claim that you won't be able to tell the difference between their wire and mono... :dunno:

I have used this stuff Surflon but the expense of $9.00+ for 5 meters of 11#, lead me to use flouro at a minimum of 17# with decent results but i still do prefer wire.

I have been fly fishing for pike for over 25 years, you have 2 choices. Either some sort of wire, use braided coated wire for best results. You can also use heavy stiff mono like 30 to 50 pound mason or a similar product. Bill C.

I have recently had very good success (that is, no biteoffs) using 50 pound Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon. I couldn't recommend it more highly. It's great stuff, and still somewhat supple.

I have recently had very good success (that is, no biteoffs) using 50 pound Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon. I couldn't recommend it more highly. It's great stuff, and still somewhat supple.

I think that this will be the stuff I'll go with. Suppleness and not kinking, a good combination. I won't mind an occasional bite off.

interersting thread this as we here in the uk are so far behind you guys when it comes to fly fishing for anything but trout and salmon , in fact im one of the few fly tyers who even makes pike and saltwater flies i know daft , i go out with my pike flies and get the strangest looks from other people but i digress

here in the uk you just cant get away without using wire for pike mabey your pike have less teeth i dont know but even using 50lb fluro your fish would go straight through it , i did experiment with braid about a year back and found that although i didnt have any bite offs the braid needed to be clipped after every fish as you could see the braid fraying at the point , i have bought some rio hard mono not so long ago (bloody expensive here) but havent tried it yet , do you get a lot of bite offs with monos etc , really interested in this as using wire i think affects the movement of the fly in the water look forward to your views ,

best regards from scotland

dave mcfluffchucker

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Get yourself some 20 and 30lb tyger wire for Canadian Pike. I go fishing for pike quite a bit, and the guys who use heavy mono or flouro always lose their flies to big pike. We fish for pike in the 15-30lb range for the most part, and regularly pull out 42" + fish.

Wire is the way to go. B)

I go fishing for pike quite a bit, and the guys who use heavy mono or flouro always lose their flies to big pike.

Always? :rolleyes:

Perhaps you need a larger sample size. Not all of us who use leader materials other than wire are always losing fish. In fact, some of us rarely lose any to biteoffs. ;)

Get yourself some 20 and 30lb tyger wire for Canadian Pike. I go fishing for pike quite a bit, and the guys who use heavy mono or flouro always lose their flies to big pike.

Wire, yeah i use it but i only use 11# Surflon and never had a bite off. Just recently however, i've started using Flouro at only 17# with never having a lost fly....Yet. Where i see many people loosing flys/fish is when they try and overpower the fish from inexperience, me included, with at first having a spin fishing mentality fly fishing. Since then i haven't lost one (knock on wood) but as the pike i start catching get bigger, i will confidently use my 11# Surflon, or 30#-50# flouro.

I have used heavy mono, hard mono, Floros, etc. Lately I have settled upon 20# Tyger Wire. It is limper than heavy bite tippets and allows the fly to swim more freely.