Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex L.

Tied my first fly

got my kit last night but was too tired to tie....so i come home after school only to find out that my tying book is missing :rolleyes:

Anyway, I had looked at the flies about a million times so i tryed to tie one from memory. I tied a black woolybugger with a pink tail, it's hackle sticks in every direction and is way too long but im still proud of it.

Pics will come later tonite

Look forward to seeing the pics. Make sure you set that fly aside so you can go back over the next year as you get better and see how you started.

It wont take long and you'll be laughing at your first fly. I wish I still had mine! Then again almost 20 years and a lot of moves will misplace things. Looking forward to the pics. Sure it looks great!

any tips on how i can precent the hackle from sticking in every direction?

thanks for your responses.

First things first.... Not a bad lookin fly. Bright future ahead. :headbang: As far as keeping hackle under control, just brush it back every turn or 2 with your fingers. get those stems to lay in the same direction.

I saw your picture...For a first effort,it is MUCH better than adequate!!! It might be a testament to how much more,(and better!) teaching materials are around,as opposed to when I tied my first fly,back in '67!!!

I bought a few things from Cabelas,I beleive,and a little local fly shop,long since closed up. One night,I swiped a spool of sewing thread from my mom's kit,an old stub of a candle (for wax!) and went to the basement. I took the only hook I had,a size #6 Eagle Claw Baitholder,and mashed down the baitholder barbs. (Good practice for the future,looking back on it!) Clamping the hook in my fathers bench vise,

I wrapped a grey spun fur body,ribbed it with the tying thread,and turned on a grossly oversized claret neck hackle!!! It was a horrid looking thing,but I could have not been more thrilled! I was totally hooked!!

Your fly,is representative of what it took me 2 or 3 YEARS to attain. ( And back then,I had alot of time to practice!!) Keep up the good work,and beware...this gets addicting FAST!!!

Sulphernut

Hi Alex,

Looking good. That fly would certainly catch fish in my part of the world and is very similar to a local steelhead favorite. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Excellent first shot:

Tip #1 ... When tying in marabou, get it wet. It is much easier to tie in and judge lengths

Tip #2 ... Palmering hackle (oh, someone already covered that)