Fly Tying
rawfish

Please help me decide!

The Danvise is definately the way you want to go, if you're

after true rotary for $80 or less.

I used a Danvise for years and was very satisfied with it.

Fly-Tying Scotsman

The Griffin Odyssey Spider is actually a very good vise. I have a friend that has used it for the last 2 years and he really likes it, plus its about $10/$15 cheaper than the Danvise so thats hard to beat.

I'd stay away from that first one you linked....its not even a brand name so theres no telling what type of quality it is, but for the price I would say its not very good quality wise. Go with ethier the Griffin or the Danvise.

If I'm not mistaken, the Griffin Odyssey Spider is a non-cam vise

(the Danvise has cam operated jaws).

If you don't care about that then I don't believe there is too much

that separates the Danvise & the Spider.

Fly-Tying Scotsman

So two questions based on what you guys are saying:

Why would I care about whether it has a cam operation or not?

And secon: is there a pedestal that fits the danvise?

Thanks as always.

You didn't say how you arrived at your choices, so let me toss out something else. The Griffin and the Danvise are both pretty good, but take a look at this one that Hook & Hackle sells: http://www.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/p...?number=9402001

It's on sale for $36 right now. I have a friend who bought one over a year ago, and is very happy with it.

The choice between cam/lever action and knurled knob is a personal preference. Strictly speaking, the cam action is faster, but for a beginning tier, that's useless. I like the security of screw knob. If the hook twists a bit, you just torque it down a bit more. Once you become a proficient tier, you may want to switch to a cam action, especially if you decide to do production tying, but for now, I don't think there's enough difference to base you choice on that feature.

Most current vises use a 3/8" shaft. Consequently, pedestal bases are interchangeable, and generic bases work on all of them.

PHG covered the cam versus screw-knob differences; the reason

I pointed out the difference is most guys won't go back to the screw

once they have used the cam action.

Pedestal for Danvise is a problem; it has a metric dimensioned stem

which is just a tad too big for a standard 3/8" pedestal (and possibly

any other accessories you might want to slip on there, like hackle

gauges etc). Maybe there's someone out there who has reamed

a standard pedestal fitting for a Danvise .....

Fly-Tying Scotsman

Just as phg said the choice of thumb screw or cam lever is all personal choice. I have a Renzetti that I have had for 15 years so it was made before cam levers where on vises so I am use to the screw and like that better than a cam action for my own personal taste. But someone that has used a cam lever would probably feel the same way about that, so its all a personal thing.

Also note- The Danvise has a different size stem then other vises. Most other vises are a 3/8" stem, but the danvise is a 10mm stem which equals out to .393 as opposed to a 3/8" which is .375 Its not a huge difference but it can be enough to make the danvise stem not fit into a base made for "most" vises.

If I were you I'd try to test drive whatever vice you can get ahold of before you throw your money down. Everyone so far has given you some great advice. Personally, I love the Danvise. I got mine 2 years ago when I started tying and have literally tied thousands of flies on it and still haven't had a single problem with it mechanically or functionally. The only thing that I can see as a negative about it is kind of on the same page as what plumbob mentioned, and that's the way the jaws are almost too close to the main body of the vise. There is an extension arm available that fixes this that you can get from Al Beatty for around $20.

The only thing that I can see as a negative about it is kind of on the same page as what plumbob mentioned, and that's the way the jaws are almost too close to the main body of the vise. There is an extension arm available that fixes this that you can get from Al Beatty for around $20.

I have the extension arm and it makes a world of difference when tying streamers and longer patterns. If you are just into tying smaller flies, you wouldn't necessarily need the extension but it makes everything feel less clustered up when tying. Even the smallies.

Hey rawfish - I own that vise (I have for 4 years now) and I love it. I am thinking about getting another vise because they are so cheap - and you never know when they will stop distributing them.

Again, you can go with the DanVise, or whatever, but you won't beat that price.

Brandon

www.rockymtnfly.com