Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Hot glue guns

I do,I use them for heads on saltwater flies,small eggs,caddis bodies and anything were I might use epoxy.

Ashley

I love em for the heads on eggsucking leeches

great for egg pattens as well

Tied last might

it's MUCH easier to use with a true rotary vise

I leave a cup of water on the desk to cool tehm quickly, speeds p an already quick process

Pauly

ive used them before as an underbody to slide mylar tinsel over. also use them for heads on some stuff....not too often.

I've used them in MOE and Bonefish Bitters patterns for bonefish. I've also seen some neat patterns where it was used as an egg sack on a baitfish pattern.

Are egg patterns ever used for fish other than trout and salmon? Like bass, perch, sunfish, or saltwater species?

They are fantastic for carp. I like to use a small egg pattern in 'Wisconsin Cheese' color - about a size 12. Drop it in front of tailing carp and they'll hoover it right up!

Joe C.

Joe,

Are the eggs weighted, and how do they fish if you don't see fish but are in a carp area and just let them sit? When fishing any egg pattern, do you strip line or just let current and water motion do its thing on them, moving them around?

Thanks!

Ray

I tried hot glue some time back. You can get it from Michaels in variety of colors. You don't need to use a gun.... can just heat it with a cig lighter. problem is that it is way too liquid and runs off before it can even begin to set. I abandoned it for epoxy. I do imagine one could use a glue gun to augment a body or something but I've never tried.