Fly Tying
day5

THE CARP BOX

I love catching them, but I kill all those habitat destroying invasives I catch. Caught one that was puking up smallmouth fry all over the boat.

From what I hear killing the big ones makes room for more small ones. So if you choocs to kill/bow carp let the big ones live and kill the small ones.

I cant remember the name of this fly to save my life! I saw Redwings tie some at mason a few years back. Any way it is a carp and smallie killer!!!

That fly is called the Mixed Media. I created that one about 5 years ago for late summer/early autumn smallmouth and you're right - it's a killer for carp! Not a bad choice for redfish, either :P

Joe C.

I cant remember the name of this fly to save my life! I saw Redwings tie some at mason a few years back. Any way it is a carp and smallie killer!!!

That fly is called the Mixed Media. I created that one about 5 years ago for late summer/early autumn smallmouth and you're right - it's a killer for carp! Not a bad choice for redfish, either :P

Joe C.

Hey Joe I acctually called ridderbos after writting that post to get the name of the pattern. He said that it was one of your crerations. I love that fly!!!!

do you use a disk drag reel for carp fishing?

I use a 6wt trion and this year I will start using my 8wt president. Buth by pfluger.

I loooooooove catching carp on my 6 wt. Had to buy a bigger net last year just for the purpose of landing them.

Spin some white deer hair around a hook and cut it roughly flat on the bottom... looks like a piece of bread. Great for catching them in duck ponds.

I haven't ever tried tying one, so haven't caught a carp on one, but I've heard too many times to count on this board and others that a prince nymph is money for carp.

Good to see you back madkasel

day5; I worked on a couple of ideas for the surface scum eating carp "cloopers"

A foam version

IPB Image

and a deerhair version

IPB Image

here they are in the water

IPB Image

IPB Image

they'r meant to imitate plant debis, and ride just below the surface. i Like the visibility of the foam version. We'll see if they work this spring?

heres a few mullberries also

IPB Image

I "accidentally" caught a 31" carp on my 7-1/2 foot 4wt. Winston last spring. I was scared to death I'd break the rod, since I had no way of breaking off intentionally. I had been using a tapered leader that I had glued into my fly line, and the tippet end of the leader was likely 15Lb. or so by then, and the fly was tied directly to the leader. No tippet. Therefore I had no choice but to fight this fish, or intentionally knife my fly line to save the rod.

After 20 minutes of tiring her out I brought it in, it was THE MOST heart thumping fish fight I have ever experienced. Partly because I was fearful of losing my prized rod that my late grandpa gave me as a gift, and partly due to the natural excitement of landing a large fish like that.

And to keep the story on topic, I caught MANY carp last season on a large #2 3XL shank hooked olive cactus chenille woolybugger with a large brass bead head and lots of turns of lead. If you like I can upload a photo of the fly. I caught smallies, largemouth, pike, carp, crappies, perch, and even a bluegill on this fly! #2 3XL remember :) He swallowed it like nothing.

And to keep the story on topic, I caught MANY carp last season on a large #2 3XL shank hooked olive cactus chenille woolybugger with a large brass bead head and lots of turns of lead. If you like I can upload a photo of the fly. I caught smallies, largemouth, pike, carp, crappies, perch, and even a bluegill on this fly! #2 3XL remember :) He swallowed it like nothing.

Please, do post it :)

Chris

Here's the olive cactus chenille bead head bugger that I was speaking of. Correction, it's a #6 3XL shank hook.

I also should mention I caught walleyes on this fly as well.

IPB Image

--cutthroat.trout

Good to see you back madkasel

day5; I worked on a couple of ideas for the surface scum eating carp "cloopers"

Thanks! It's good to be back.

Love those scum flies.... especially the foam one.... is that all just soft hackling behind the foam?

cutthroat.trout -- that bugger looks like a real fish catcher!!!

That exact fly actually is a confirmed fish catcher, that's why it looks a little scruffy.

It's out of my used fly box :)

It has approx. 8 turns of lead on the shank as well as the bead to get it down.

Surprisingly where I fish the most I get almost no snags with this fly even though the bottom consists

of small moss covered stones.

--cutthroat.trout

cutthroat.trout, nice fly. Olive catches alot of fish.

madkasel, its just grade saddle hackle, not realy meant to float, but It will ride the hook above water when dry without floatant, those pics show bouancy when completely waterlogged