Fly Tying
dsaavedra

Fly Suggestions

hey. i found this pond in the woods. its iced over now, but when it thaws, i plan on fishin it. i saw one fish thru the ice, dont know the species, but it was small. im lookin for some good flies that would prove successful in this pond. if ya need any more specifics, just tell me and i will answer. here are a few pics i took of the pond wit ice on it:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#8 black/griz woolly worm on a mustad 9672 or equiv. can't go wrong to start with that, anything from shiners to bass should at least give it a look, then you can fine tune from there. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

ok thanks guys. i made one realy nice elk hair caddis (i find them relativley hard since i never tie them) and i will make a few small wooly worms.

undertow, i went wading in that pond just for fun, and the deepest i could go without fillin my waders was about 4'. and tha was around the middle of the pond. so i dont know just how deep it gets. and as for the cold, its not bitter cold, well at least it wasnt when i took those photos, but i would say there was a good inch of ice over it in the center.

Hard to go wrong with a foam spider. Black body with chartreuse legs works well for me usually, but you can experiment.

alright cool. never thought to do an olive hearesa ear. so what kinds of fish do you guys think might be in there? there are no feeder streams to it. if ya need any specifics just ask. B)

I would be out there with an auger punching a hole and drowning a minnow or grub....in hopes of catching something (I have cabin fever right now....and I'm ready to fish my porcelin pond for a corn-eyed brown trout at this point)......but if you can wait till the ice is gone...san juan worm or a gold ribbed hare's ear

I would be out there with an auger punching a hole and drowning a minnow or grub....in hopes of catching something (I have cabin fever right now....and I'm ready to fish my porcelin pond for a corn-eyed brown trout at this point)......but if you can wait till the ice is gone...san juan worm or a gold ribbed hare's ear

Hmm Id practice cateh and realese

I would have to say a bunch of bluegills are running this pond, but thats the beauty of finding these little hidin' honey holes. I hope it produces for you! I would have to agree with all the flies everyone has mentioned.....but would add a #10 Olive wooley bugger to see if any bass are hiding in there! Good luck!

ok guys. im stocking up for when the ice melts. i'd be out there now, but the ice is too thin to hold me...well....at least too thin to risk it.

...even though it's small and looks like it has potential to freeze solid...never let that deter you from fishing it. I have fished ponds that are full of trash and smell like the devils arm pit, just to say I fished it. Of course, in that case, I caught nothing....but....I FISHED IT!!!