Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Indyflycaster

Tiny Flies

Fish do not eat stuff that small!!! They cant even see out of the water let alone a small little thing like that!!! :hyst: Im kidding!!! I have to be honest if it is smaller than 18 I'm asking someone else to trade a few I cant tie that small to save my life!!! NICE TIE !!!

I am fairly new to tying...these are some of my first aatempts at size 24s

I forgot to tie the tails on my tricos... That size is very challenging but fun.

post-10076-1171761509_thumb.jpg

sorry here are the tricos...they have a turkey biot body... I guess I have to start somewhere. I just have fun at the vise

post-10076-1171761663_thumb.jpg

im not much for tying tiny flies. i have made a few in the 22 size. nothin special tho. but man a royal wulff on a size 26 thats real hard to do!!! :bugeyes: :blink: :bugeyes:

Indy-- a little tip that you may find usefull. When your wrapping a hackle for something really small there usually isn't much left of the hackle when you put your pliers on plus the weight of the pliers is enough to sometimes snap it off. What I do is cut a piece of 20lb mono about 3 inches long, put a small dab of zap a gap on one end and then touch that to the tip on the hackle you want to use. You can then tie the butt end of the hackle on to your fly and then hold on to the mono to make your wraps. The mono has almost no weight to snap you off, you still need a gentle touch or you can pull the mono off the hackle. I found that I can get an extra wrap that I couldn't when I used hackle pliers.

Casta--- something you may want to try for trico's. Silver Badger Hackle. You just wrap it at the wing area, trim the top and bottom flat. The dark center of the badger gives the look of a dubbed thorax plus I think the hackle gives a better wing appearance. I think they have those whiting 100's in midge size and in silver badger.

Here's a pic of some I tyed, a 28 royal wulff and a 32 wulff-et couldn't get a hackle small enough for the 32 for a real collar. If any of you come accross the old mustad blind eye 32's I'd love to buy a couple off ya.

IPB Image

How do you feel about these two??????? Both are 32's. The dry is tied on a blind eye (had to add a fluorocarbon loop).

Have fun with the teenie weenies!!!!!!!!!!!

VIVA MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

lol. in lookin at plumbob's wulff-et, i began to ponder....do you guys tie these flies for actual fishing, or just to push your limits!?!?

i'd love to tie some but the smallest hooks i have are size 18's :crazy:

Just though I'd join the small dog group, and get off the porch. How's these for a couple of pups. Royal Coachman & Humpy - Size 32.

Floyd :bugeyes:

Just though I'd join the small dog group, and get off the porch. How's these for a couple of pups. Royal Coachman & Humpy - Size 32.

Floyd :bugeyes:

post-1533-1171824482_thumb.jpg

post-1533-1171826057_thumb.jpg

Those 32s are great. The smallest size at my fly shop is a 28. I will find some 32s and give it a whirl. Or maybe I will get some 28s and try those first.

I need to locate some midge size hackle. I tied some simple still born griffith nats in a size 24 but my hackle was just too big.