Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Indyflycaster

Tiny Flies

Plumbob

Thanks for the tip. The hackle is the hardest part.

Oh yeh! I forgot to memtion that I tie these 28-32 size flies with 18/0 thread!!!

Ahhhh Indy one other thing that may help. If you look at that wulff-et I have on the penny what looks like a scratch coming off the head is the thread I used. I took a single strand off of a spool of gel spun thread. Cut a peice about seven inches long and just clipped one of those plastic hackle pliers on one end to give a little weight when hanging. The thread is super strong even just the one little strand and you don't really need the bobin cause your not going to use much thread anyway. Do them when your young and eyes are good, that little mustad hook maybe beyond me now.

I have trouble taking pictures of large flies, let alone microscopic ones.

Here's one I tied for friend who sent Mustad 32's out to about 50 tyers and asked them to come up with a pattern. Here's the picture he took of mine.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/sfp_previewx/jcaruso.jpg

I have a Royal Wulff I tied on the TMC 32.

Generally, I don't fish size 32's, though I have caught 3 fish on them. Two sunfish and one trout.

I tie all my small drys on the TMC 2488. That way I can tie a size 22 on a size 20 hook. The smallest I'll fish these days are tied on size 24 TMC 2488.

I do like small nymphs, and tied up a couple of size 26 PT Nymphs today. I stumbled across some micro chenille in chartruese, and have been tying Green Weenies down to the size 26. Much easier to tie than the PT Nymphs.

here are a couple of mine (size 20 and 24).....haven't ventured down too far yet......but these photos are all taken under a low powered microscope 7-10x magnification

post-5367-1171882782_thumb.jpg

if anyone is interested in having their flies photo'ed this way let me know

here are a couple of mine (size 20 and 24).....haven't ventured down too far yet......but these photos are all taken under a low powered microscope 7-10x magnification

post-5367-1171882782_thumb.jpg

Ok I'm going blind looking at those flies . I think I'll buy anything that small I thought tying 16's was tough . Nice flies

Plumbob:

Sorry about taking so long in getting back. That was done 6 or 7 years ago. I actually was sent 3 of them because I "lost" two. I actually found the two I lost. I gave one to another local guy who was in on it, and the other one as far as I know is sitting in a magnifying box at the fly shop I frequent. As far as I know Hans doesn't have any more of the Mustad's.

Since this is still going. Here's the URL for the SFP(Smallest Fly Project) it shows all the patterns received. You might recognize some names under the flies.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/sfp_previewx/sfp_preview.htm

I'll have to see if I can take picture of a couple of the small Green Weenies I tied up, and any other small ones I can round up.

I have to be honest if it is smaller than 18 I'm asking someone else to trade a few I cant tie that small to save my life!!!
:D

Me too!

Ok since I read this post I've been thinking about tying some smaller flies.today after work I sat down an tied 2 size 22 sulpher's and everyone says they look great. So I'm working my way down, Hopefuly in the next couple of days (if the snow stops)..I'm going out and getting some smaller hooks and trying to go smaller. This is fun ,and not(I wont say hard) as blinding as I thought it would be.. So wish me luck lol I'll need it..Thanks for getting me intersted.. :bugeyes: