Fly Tying
flykid

soft hackles

I have to agree with Iowaflyguy. Nothing beats a Patridge & Orange.

I often use them in combination with a heavier nymph.

Norwegian trout and grayling love them!

John

I like them all. Very productive flies. But I must say the orange is most productive...probably because it is usually my go to pattern for a dropper. pond/lake/river/stream doesn't matter.

Hi,

Yes, the Partridge and Orange is very effective. One reason is because everyone uses it. There are, however, so many more patterns that take fish consistantly. Problem is, nobody ties or uses them. Here's my short list:

Leisenring's Black Gnat

Snipe and Yellow

Tups Indispensible

Snipe and Pheasant

Weilenmann's Partridge and Olive Emerger

Jim Slattery's Triple Threat Caddis

The Leisenring Spider

I won't go into my long list.

Happy tying,

Mark

any particular hook sizes and should I use wet or dry fly hooks? I've heard both used before. And do you guys like to fish them with a sinking or a floating line? I recently read an article on soft hackles and their effectiveness in Fly Fisherman and I am filled with questions. thanks for all the help

I like using wet fly hooks TMC 3761, size #16

To add my two cents worth, I like the partridge and orange as well as the starling and purple.

The Tiemco 3761 is a good hook in 14 and 16. If you can find them, there are quite a few fly shops that tie their soft hackles on a TMC102Y. That style comes in odd sizes ... 15, 17 and 19 and possibly others.

Mike

Intersting, as I have not heard of this hook I had to go look it up. The description lists it as a dry fly hook. So now I am curious as to why one would prefer this hook over a wet fly hook for a soft hackle, as I have always assumed you soft hackles were fished as wet and not dry?

-Critter

I'm not 100% sure why some shops do it that way. I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess. I have 2 or 3 100 pack boxes and I tie caddis with them. It is a little finer wire I believe which may have some bearing on why some shops use them. I use them because I like them.

Mike