Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
camoham

first official fly

well, alot of my threads, dubbing, etc. arrived saturday..............so i tied my first official fly. the thread was a lot weaker than what i expected. i kept waxing the thread occassionally prevent breakages. oh well. i know its not the most beautiful of jobs but i was happy with it. im taking some suggestions from some of the threads ive been reading here (i.e. what would you do with your first fly) and buy a display box for this one as a keepsake.

grizzy hackle

angora goat dubbing.

deer hair tail

IPB Image

thanks for taking a look

camoham

Very good job! :D My first one didn't look nearly that good. Keep tying. It's exactly like learning to ride a unicycle :blink: - it takes practice. I'd keep that first one in a safe place. I didn't keep mine and regret it.

Hey, you did great for your first fly!

My first one didn't look that good either!

Keep up the effort and when you look at this one in a few months

you'll be suprised how much you will have improved :D

I'll look forward to seeing more of your flies :)

VEE

Save this fly as a keep-sake, but tye a half dozen more for your fly box. Looks like a pattern that will catch you lots of fish this spring.

Welcome to the addiction... :P

thanks all...........and to those who have created this website

went fishing sunday just for the fun of it.

chance to try out new rod/reel and setup. i knew the action would be slow but it was still quite enjoyable knocking the winter dust off these bones.

caught a small bluegill on a an adams that i intentionally tied on a large hook trying to avoid catching a bluegill! i thought for sure a size 6 would keep'em off that.

didnt catch anything on this one but know it will be very effective in a couple of weeks. had no takers but some nibbles while stripping. i saw multiple shadows following and an occasional side flash.

IPB Image\

i was very pleased with how the black nosed dace performed. it didnt go as deep as i thought it would (perfect depth to bring out those that are lurking slightly below). have to tie some more of those. no where near enough in the fly box.

caught a decent sized bluegill on a hopper patern. ill need to tie some of those up as well. looks like pheasant feathers are going to be used alot.

it was a wonderful experience to catch a fish on a fly youve tied yourself. regardless of size...................i was smiling ear to ear.

what a spring day.

camoham