Fly Tying
flyangler

A fly to introduce myself

Greetings from the midwest! In the winter, when I can't get out and fish enough to keep me sane, the tying gets a little crazy.

Here is a fly inspired by a damselfly my husband and I saw while fishing in Wisconsin. I have tried to keep my eyes open to the wonders of creation my whole life, yet I had never seen this kind before. Some call it the Onyx Jewelwing. A species map for that state indicated that it hadn't been reported in the area before, so without even counting the fish we caught, we could feel very lucky. Graham's flies and photos are also inspirational, and to him I say "Thanks!"

Good luck to you all, too.

The fly is unfinished, so this shot is before I get to the legs and head.

IPB Image

Welcome to the forum flyangler!

I can see you take great pride in your work, the elegance of your fly is captivating, and the iridescent coloring is jewel like, and I very much looking forward to seeing your fly completed!!!! And thank you for your kind remarks, I think we all give and take from each other, and we all benefit. To me, this is the true value of my internet connection, and all of the new friendships need to be included as well.

Cheers,

Graham

Awesome job on the coloring! I would always see a bunch of those while fishing the SOuth Branch of the Au Sable River in northern Michigan. Right around mid-June there would be tons of them flying around. Looking foward to seeing more of your work! :headbang: :headbang:

flyanger - Welcome to the site. Wonderful fly!

It is a perfect replica of the ones I saw while fishing at a stream in southern New York state a couple years ago. I saw a bunch of these flying around the stream as I fished and was struck by the beauty of their coloration. I took their picture (see below) and tried to tye version of them when I got home. Unfortunately my version was no where near as nice as yours. Thanks for sharing and I am looking forward to seeing your future posts.

post-4573-1173481467_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1173481505_thumb.jpg

Nice fly and what the others have said about the finnished fly. Looking forward to more of your flies.

The jewlwing's are a great looking insect

Looks like several of you are lucky, having seen the damsels that we did. Thanks for the encouragement. I've gotten one step further on the legs.

This involves gluing segments of different sized maxima together. I've not been pleased at how slowly the super glue I use sets up. Anybody have a faster drying option for these synthetic fibers? The darn stuff sticks to my fingers instantly, but not to the mono.

Hi flyangler,

Cyanoacrylate glues (krazy/super glues) are activated by moisture. In your application, the curing of the glue on monofiliment connections is governed strictly by the relative humidity of the room you're tying in. The more humidity, the faster the glue sets up. Here's a tip you can try as I use it all the time when tying leader and tippet knots. Blow hot/moist breath onto your connections and you'll find the glue cures much more quickly.

Hope this helps,

Henry

Get a bottle of Zip Kicker, it makes CA glue dry instantly, but it does make it change from clear to yellowish in color. I use it for quickly covering my nail knot leader connections.

Thanks!

Is that a craft store find or would I get it from a hardware store? Sounds like it wouldn't be a problem with black legs.

I have a local hobby / model railroad store and they have a large selection of different CA glues, as well as various little bottles of liquids and sprays that either slow the drying process or speed it up. Zip Kicker makes CA glue dry instantly.